In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Proud Mom

gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
I just got news that has me beaming!!!! My daughter took the SAT the end of last year and her former teacher just called me with the results. 2080!!!!!! She is 11 and will be going into the 6th grade next month! Now if I can just get her daily work to reflect her test scores.

Comments

• ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    glad to hear that can she show my kids that it can be done lol
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Yeah it can be done.... but getting her to do it on a daily basis is another thing... just like her mom... lol
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SAT? 2080? The SAT is a college enterence exam... 1600 points possible

What is this SAT test, sounds like you are proud that she has done good. Congrats. [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

What is this SAT test, sounds like you are proud that she has done good. Congrats. [:D]

That is the old scoring. The new high score is 2400. But yes it was the college test.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl

That is the old scoring. The new high score is 2400. But yes it was the college test.

What is that comparable to the old test? And was she given more time?
    edited November -1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT

explains it better. They were tested on "Standard" meaning that they were treated just like it was for college.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gagirl THATS GREAT!! I'm sure you are very proud and you should be. Don't let her slack she'll be a teen before you know it. How many children do you have?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    gagirl THATS GREAT!! I'm sure you are very proud and you should be. Don't let her slack she'll be a teen before you know it. How many children do you have?

Biologically ... One... but I have had 2 foster kids, previous bf of 4 yrs had 3, 2 of which lived with us, and currently I have 3 step kids and 3 step grand kids. The 2 youngest used to live with us but now live within their mom, because they didnt like rules and private school. But those test scores damn sure say something for private schools!!!!!

You have a 13 yr old son right?
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes gagirl, He's doing bad in school but that's all I can say on a public board. Don't want it to come back and bite me. He's smart enough to do good but I don't have custody. The guys never do. Maybe I'll tell you the details sometime but not here. BTW sounds like your quite the mom!!! Keep up the great work!!!
    Taking him camping/fishing this weekend. Then trap shooting monday.
    After tonight I have 2 weeks off. So it's my turn finally to celebrate.[:p] Worked 72hrs since last friday[|)][:(]
    That's enough for now.[xx(]
    edited November -1
    I just have a hard time believe that a 6th grader can score a 2080. Not saying that it can't happen, but that puts her in the 95 percentile for all students that take the test. The reason being is the difficulty of the materal that is on the test. It has upper level math and reading that is above and beyond most, if not all 6th grade levels.

Any how, its still a great score!
    edited November -1
    I just have a hard time believe that a 6th grader can score a 2080. Not saying that it can't happen, but that puts her in the 95 percentile for all students that take the test. The reason being is the difficulty of the materal that is on the test. It has upper level math and reading that is above and beyond most, if not all 6th grade levels.

Any how, its still a great score!

Shoff I scored over 1500 in the 7th grade when tops was 1600. The percentiles given do not take into account tests given in public schools to gifted students or in private schools to the younger grades. You also have to consider that her school starts them in algebra in the 4th grade, That to even be accepted into the school you have to test 2+ grades higher then what you are actually in, and by the time they are in the 12th grade they already have all the state requirements and that they are enrolled in college for 1/2 days.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Wow! That's friggin' awesome!!!

If I had her test taking abilities, I wouldn't care about homework either. She's smart enough to be able to figure out what benefits her, and that is what hurts her study discipline.

Something tells me that her mom would probably be the same way if she thought she was wasting her time!

Ben
    edited November -1
    Ben I was the same way in school. I was accepted into college after my SAT scores in the 7th grade. (Note there were 1 out of the 6 of us who took them that year that scored a perfect score of 1600) I never studied ever. got through 3 years of latin, 1 of french, 1 of spanish and never opened a book. Had enough credits to graduate when I ended 10th grade and sat in HS and bummed for 2 years. I know that there is NOTHING a parent can do with a child that knows that they really dont have to study. As long as she keeps a/b's (which are different at public school then in private) I will be happy and wont care if she studies ever.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl
    I know that there is NOTHING a parent can do with a child that knows that they really dont have to study. As long as she keeps a/b's (which are different at public school then in private) I will be happy and wont care if she studies ever.

But she will need those study skills when she gets to college. Unless of course she goes liberal arts degree type.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Yea well I sucked in school hated it, But then when I went to electronics school My Dad said if you make honor Roll I will pay for all your schooling.

Thats when I found out I was just lazy not stupid ..
    I made honor roll for the entire two years engineering math. Now I have forgotten it all so guess its back to stupid[B)]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    Now I have forgotten it all so guess its back to stupid[B)]

Look at the bright side: It's a short trip.[;)]

Ben