In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tree stands

KaosKaos Member Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
I need another one think i am gonna ask for an early b-day present this year...I really like the lone wolf climbers but i dont have that kinda money...anyone know of a brand that fold up like a backpack but is also light? somewhere in the 100-200 dollar range

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hi All...I have several tree stands that I want to sell. Is there enough hunters on gunbroker to warrant me putting the up for sale on the auction side?

THX,
    hilltopfarm@charter.net
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm looking to buy a tree stand for next deer (modern firearm)season. I know this is the bow hunting forum but I figure you guys would be the most knowledgeable about the topic. Plus I would like to get into archery later, so why not get one now. I think I want a climbing tree stand, also around $100-$200.

1.What should I look for in purchasing one?
    2.Any small details/accessories that are nice to have?
    3.Looking at the cabelas cable elite SS climber tree stand. Any good?
    4.Other brands/models I should look at?

Thanks in advance for the imput for I won't be able to get online for a few days to answer any questions...my internet broken.
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    summit climbers are really nice
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kaos, the weight is always a factor especialy if your hunting spot is far from where you park.
    Climbers are nice because you don't have to carry/setup sticks. However if there are any branches in the way your SOL.
    Cabelas has a nice light weight gorilla silver back(non climber)treestand. It has a large 24"x30" platform and doesn't squeak plus it's only 13lbs.!!It also has a nice comforable seat and you can get a gun/foot rest for it. I made my own foot rest at work out of aluminum for mine. I only bow hunt though. They also have some light weight climbing sticks. I would recomend the stacking sticks if you choose to go with a non climber. They're much eaisier/faster to setup. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0032910416964a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=gorilla+silverback&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=gorilla+silverback&noImage=0
    Let us know what you go with and how you like it. I'm always looking for better things.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
  • Options
    KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gotta go with Summit. I like the one i have.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for summit. I have the Goliath and love it, but at $280 it is a little out of your price range. The bushmaster is about $200, but is a very small and simple stand. My dad has the Razor and really likes it ($260). I have also used the Viper which is very similar to the Goliath, just a little smaller and lighter, another great stand. The sit/stand method of climbing is very easy and fast once you do it a few times.
    My advice would be spend a little more and get one of the higher end stands. They are very comfortable, stable, safe, and easy to carry. They also come with a very nice safety harness that leaves you no reason to not use it. I feel so safe and comfortable in mine, I have spent many hours sleeping in it.
    As for accessories... It is up to you. I have both a bow and gun holder, foot rest, one of the side bags, and the summit skin on order. You really don't need much, but some of these are nice to have.
    -edit- I forgot to comment on the Cabela's SS climber... It looks to have a small platform, cumbersome adjustments, and is really heavy (at 32 lbs compared to my Goliath at 21 lbs).
    Good luck, and let us know what you decide.
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    I second DCSO... Save the money and buy a better stand. I have one from last year that weights 32 lbs. Carry that for a few miles and it will make you wish for that 21 lb stand. I bought 2 Summit Golith stands for this year. Took them out and tried them last weekend and David and I LOVE THEM!
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Yep, if you don't spend more money now, you will spend it a year or two down the road. If you spend the extra $50-75 now, you'll have a good stand for a long time.

Ben
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are pretty much good stands.API,Lone Wolf,Summit,Grollia
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I also like summit.[;)]
  • Options
    zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1