In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

strings and cables

hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
I am shooting a Hoyt Magna-tec and I think it is about time to replace the strings and cables. Can someone help me out here? I know very little about this, is one brand better and why?

I am shooting 70# and using Easton Axis arrows and a whisker bisquit, do you need more information to help me make a wise purchase?

thanks
Cody

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What year is it? What limbs does it have, and what cams, being specific between the command cam and cam .5, which exact cam is it. There should be some letters on the cams telling you which cam it is, this is the size of the cam. You will have to identify the cam model by looks.

Theres lots of good strings out their. DON'T PUT STOCK STRINGS ON IT!

Vapor trail, winners choice, pro strings, and several other makers. I have been using Mikes strings from AT, they are great strings, zero peep rotation. Even on my indoor bow that has some where between 2000-3000 shots on the strings, it still has zero peep rotation. I am sure some of the name brand strings will do the same, but a good set of strings is going to set you back at least 60-120 bucks. There are strings from a guy on AT named bucknasty that people like the strings.

You can look up the information on Hoyts website, under technical information there are drop down menues you can find your bow then find out what limbs you have, cam model you have, then what cam size you have.

If you post the information, I can look it up for you too.
  • Options
    hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I am at work right now so I can't look at the bow. I have an archery shop near my house, should I just take it there? Do most archery shops sell quality strings?

Thanks
    Cody
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hivoltg
    Thanks for the info. I am at work right now so I can't look at the bow. I have an archery shop near my house, should I just take it there? Do most archery shops sell quality strings?

Thanks
    Cody

sure, just make sure they don't want to put stock strings on it.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a similar bow. Just had new strings made this past spring. I went to http://www.genescustombowstrings.com/ for them. They are really nice. He also had some tips to quiet my bow, like move your limbsavers (if you have any) up near the riser not near the cams. If I remember correctly it was just over $100 for the string, cables, wax, and range time. He made them right there in front of me. If you have never seen them done, it is really interesting.
    There are also some good production strings out there. Winners choice are nice. Would have been my 2nd choice. No punn intended.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I'd keep the strings and cables, and replace the riser, limbs, and cams...but that's just me.[:D]

Ben
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    I'd keep the strings and cables, and replace the riser, limbs, and cams...but that's just me.[:D]

Ben

D'OH!!!

I have heard that Winners Chioce takes over a month to get them.[B)]