In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Problems... again ---FIXED---

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
Last night I noticed my limb has a small sliver seperating from the inside edge of my bow. It is a Hoyt Powerflex. Does anyone know how iminent damage is? Also where can I get new limbs if I need them. I can't afford a new bow or I would have one. I also can't afford to put a lot of money into this one. How much do you think it will cost to fix it? Or should I just keep shooting it?

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    does that have the carbonite limbs on it?

if you are the orginal owner, take it to a hoyt dealer and get new limbs for free.

I doubt though if a sliver on the side of the limb is going to hurt its integrity. I would be more worried about a slit in the middle of standard limbs, or something like that.

how much money is too much?
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure it's not the lamination that is slivering? One other thing that it definately wrong. It's a Hoyt[:D][:D]
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413
    Are you sure it's not the lamination that is slivering? One other thing that it definately wrong. It's a Hoyt[:D][:D]
    If Hoyt is like mathews " which it's not" you can send the old limbs back and they have a lifetime warrenty." even the lamination should not peel I had a darton that did that. I would at the least take it to your local hoyt dealer and make sure its safe to shoot if she bolws it could injure you and we dont want that, [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am not the original owner, so I doubt Hoyt will warranty the limbs. I may try to sever the sliver before it peels deeper. I will be visiting the local dealer on monday. He may be able to get new limbs in, or maybe work something else out.

From what I know about limb problems, the inside is the better (or less bad?) place to have problems. By design there is a lot more stress on the outside of the limb than the inside.

I will post a picture when I get home so you can see what I am talking about.

Maybe I should list my .45 I have been thinking of selling here on GB and buy a new bow.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Original owner or not I believe Hoyt will exchange your limb for a new one if you send it to them. I doubt they will do the labor to change them out though.

How much and what kind of 45?
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:How much and what kind of 45?

damn, beat me to it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    -Edit-
    I took better pictures... for 2 and 3

It is a springfield 1911 that has been customized a bit with a one piece Bomar sight, different beavertail, loop hammer, custom checkered grips. I have 9 mags, 7 of which are 8 rnd. I would have to get at least $600 to break even on it.

As for the bow... I am taking it in on Monday to the local shop. I will also be calling Hoyt directly. We will see what they have to say. Here are 3 pictures for you...
    First a picture of the bow... the arrow is pointing to the damage.
    IMAG0004.jpg

2nd is a picture of the limb
    IMAG0005.jpg

3rd I pulled lightly on the sliver to show size
    IMAG0006.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What limbs do you have on there?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    shoff I only wish I knew... This bow was given to me by my brother. He traded it for a bag of softball eq... and so on down the line. I can only guess the age of the bow is 7-10 years old. No owners manual or anything came with the bow. I have since added lots of goodies to it as you can see. I did several different searches for Powerflex and came up with VERY little. Mostly a few for sale on fleabay.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dsco

I don't think your bow is called a "powerflex" I think that is the limb destination. Hoyt didn't start the 'tec' riser untill 98,97? I believe. you have a 'tec' riser, powerflex is not listed in hoyts tune charts. Those look like ZR100 limbs, which I believe are the predecessor (sp?) of powerflex limbs.

I don't know what bow that is, however, you can eliminate the fact that it doesn't have redline cams, it either has Master or command cams. I would guess your bow is 5-6 years old.

Is it made out of magnesium or aluminum? It looks very close to a magnatec.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shoff
    The riser is magnnesium. It has an emblem Magnatec and MMT. There is a sticker on the lower limb that says Magnatec Powerflex. I have asked the local Hoyt dealer about it, but he has only been selling Hoyt for 2 years. He said he has never even seen one of these before.

Thanks for the info thus far. Let me know what else you may find out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Then the bow is a magnatec with powerflex limbs.

The magnatec had powerflex limbs on it in in 99, it either has command cams or power cams. I believe command cams have a CC on it.

I would image that hoyt may replace them for you, they may not. But you should be able to find replacements easily. Deflection information should be under the limb pockets, or you could call hoyt for it once you know what cam it has for sure. They can give it to you, I am sure you could find some on ebay or AT for less then 50 bucks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shoff
    Now I understand. Thanks a million. This makes sense now...
    IMAG0009.jpg
    How would I know what cams it has? Is there any markings or stand out features that would tell me?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    as i said before, I believe that the command cams have a 'CC' on them, probably before the cam number, which should be for command cams 1,2,3,4, and i think 5. But for a 99, it would either be 2,3,or 4. This is just a guess.

If you call hoyt tommorow i can imagine they can help you identify the cams.

For your future use

http://www.hoyt.com/technical/charts.tpl
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They have a C3 stamped on them...
    Thanks again for all your help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok. After finding out Hoyt does not carry thoes limbs any more I went to the shop to scope out the used rack. While I was there I talked to the owner. He removed the sliver that was pulling out, filed it down, and put a layer of glue over it. Does not look the best, but I was told it will work for a while.
    I sill like that Trykon, and it just might follow me home someday.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    Ok. After finding out Hoyt does not carry thoes limbs any more I went to the shop to scope out the used rack. While I was there I talked to the owner. He removed the sliver that was pulling out, filed it down, and put a layer of glue over it. Does not look the best, but I was told it will work for a while.

before you buy the Trykon also try the Mathews Switchback XT and Bowtech tribute. I would compare all 3. I found things in all that I liked and things in all that I didn't. Bought the XT.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009

Figured they didn't.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:bang250 Posted - 08/08/2006 : 08:04:07 AM

quote:
    Originally posted by dcso3009

before you buy the Trykon also try the Mathews Switchback XT and Bowtech tribute. I would compare all 3. I found things in all that I liked and things in all that I didn't. Bought the XT.

I did that. I didn't like the draw cycle on the bowtech. Just seemed "lumpy" to me. The Trykon and Switchback XT were both very smooth and quiet. The Trykon beat the XT in my book because of the balance in the grip. The XT is top heavy and when I shoot with an open grip, the top limb falls foreward. I didn't like that. I did like many other things about it, and will not say anything bad about them.