In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Equipping a Mathews sb xt, dream sheet.

ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
So I've decided to upgrade the old bear super strike. I guess it's only about 15 yrs old now and about time. I decided to get a Mathews switchback xt, sorry hoyt fans. Anyways. What's your list of accessories, a dream sheet, don't steer me wrong, I know where you all hang out[8D]. sights(I like the g5 but is it worth the $$$$), rest(i like the whisker biscuit but...), stabilizer???, release(probably go with a scott), arrows????, broadheads(I like my montecs but have been looking at mechanicals), other stuff? Help please.

Comments

• taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Montana black gold makes a sight called flashpoint that is awesome for around 90 bucks. If you only like a single pin I prefer the HHA slider for about the same money. Rest is personal prefference, I have a ripcord drop away but it's hard to beat a bisquit. The XT really doesn't need a stabilizer but if you want one i'd go with the limbsaver brand. I would have said goldtip but since they're moving everything to Mexico i'm not sure about them anymore. Tired of typing so others can chime in with more later.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dream sheet

for a sight, it would be Hoggit hunter sight, with micro adjustments. Rest, Trophy taker with micro adjustment, I wish I had a new Stan release to try, but I like my Tru Ball hand releases. I would like to try FMJ from Easton, but that isn't happening untill I break all my Axis arrows, which isn't going to happen since I stopped shooting them for 3D.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    well you sound like your capable of making some good decisions on your own. Those black gold sights are real good. Bang and Taco have them and I've done lots of looking thats the one I'm buying for my xt. As far as stabilizer I honestly dont feel a difference with or without it. The only thing I dont care for are the Montecs[:(] . they do make noise in flight and do not hold a razor edge they do however shoot good.. Muzzy has done well by me.

Excellent decision on the Switchback xt you will love it . By the way how much$$$$[;)] Congrats and welcome
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a little insight into my dad's continued problems with his switchback... He has now been told his tuning problems are due to the rest and changing to a trophy taker will fix that. He has a Truglo sight on it that he had to make shims for to adjust it far enough to the right, and now the pins are only about 1/8th of an inch from the riser.

I like the QAD ultra rest, and would put it on my next bow.

The sight I will recomend is the sidewinder with the .019 fibers. I just put on the sureloc sidewinder on my bow and really like it. The only downside is if you have to replace the fibers, it is a real pain in the *.

I have been shooting GoldTip, but as mentioned... I might be inclined to switch.

Broadheads... I have been using 3 blade Muzzy and they always work. I have given the Montecs a look and may change when I run out of Muzzys.

I hope that helps
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    Just a little insight into my dad's continued problems with his switchback... He has now been told his tuning problems are due to the rest and changing to a trophy taker will fix that. He has a Truglo sight on it that he had to make shims for to adjust it far enough to the right, and now the pins are only about 1/8th of an inch from the riser.

The sight I will recomend is the sidewinder with the .019 fibers. I just put on the sureloc sidewinder on my bow and really like it. The only downside is if you have to replace the fibers, it is a real pain in the *.

I have been shooting GoldTip, but as mentioned... I might be inclined to switch.

Broadheads... I have been using 3 blade Muzzy and they always work. I have given the Montecs a look and may change when I run out of Muzzys.

I hope that helps
    Some advise do not switch from muzzy to montec. they are not ver sharp cost twice as much and sound like feathers in flight . i know this to be true because I tried and went back to muzzy.[;)]
  • FANNINFANNIN Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For my dream Accs. sheet, I would have a Extreme bow sight (very good and durable sight), WB rest, Fuse Stabilizer, Tru ball release, and shoot the new Beman black maxx arrows. Of course, these would all be attached to a Bowtech Tribute!
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    sight: copper john 5 pin
    rest: thats up to you - fall away or whisker biscuit
    arrows: CX - carbon express
    broadheads: muzzy
  • ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm picking it up on Friday, I'll take a list of the recommended add ons and talk to the the shop owner too. He doesn't have any g5 sights in stock right now so your recommendations are especially important on them. I like a 3 pin set up but would be willing to go to a 4 or 5, just won't be taking a lot of long distance shots in the field, it doesn't hurt to practice at long range though. I appreciate the input so far. More input on the sights especially would be helpful, I have a truglo on my current bow and really don't care for them as the pins align well with each other and that is a problem. I want something that protects the pins aligns well and is highly visible. I read the other post about sights and it was good to hear about some of the low light sights available.
    edited November -1
    Other than the black gold sights it looks like everyone has their own idea of what is best.
    Black Gold Sights
    Hoggit hunter sights
    Extreme bow sight
    Copper John sight
    Sureloc sidewinder
    Truglo sights
    All were mentioned. I like the looks of the g5, the black gold is similar and I like the look of the flashpoint, I may go with that one.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckyboy
    quote:
    Originally posted by dcso3009

I hope that helps

Some advise do not switch from muzzy to montec. they are not ver sharp cost twice as much and sound like feathers in flight . i know this to be true because I tried and went back to muzzy.

Good to know. Maybe I should stick with what works.

Ghotie
    Any of the sidewinder sights would fit the bill nicely. I never really looked into them until I tried a friend's bow that had one on it and what stuck in my mind was how bright it was. They seem to be built well. The only down side is the fibers are not real protected from the pin head to the fiber tube. It has held up well so far and I see no reason it will not continue to do so. The higher end models have the tooless adjustment which was another feature I wanted.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gt

I like CJ sights, thats what I have on my bow and they are great and bright enough. But you said a dream list. ;)
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    http://www.blackgoldsights.com/flashpoint_sights.html
    if you need one
    http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=003288641
    7424a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=s+coil&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=s+coil&noImage=0

I like the bisquit for hunting. Not sure about arrows I've only tried 2 different ones, Vapor Trail 5000 and PSE carbon Force Dominator.

Great choice on the bow, You'll like it.
    edited November -1
    The bow is here, Mathews switchback xt, it is wearing the Blackgold flashpoint 5pin sights and a whisker bisquit, an ultra nok xl and a loop wrist sling. I shot it at the shop during the tune in process and was amazed at the accuracy of the bow. I couldn't shoot it when I got home, was told the epoxy needed to set on the arrows until tomorrow. It's sitting on the pool table in its case.