In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Processing

Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,199 ******
How many out process your own meat? Just started up again last year. We used to do it when I was younger but a guy started doing it for $50 and it wasn't worth our time doing it. He quit doing it so we bought a new grinder from Cabela's. Plastic burger bags and a tape machine for the bags and we did the last deer of the year in 1 1/2 hours.

Comments

• Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Sounds like
    I do the same thing that you do
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I've done it once. but I can get it done for $55 so for me its just easier, no mess, no disposal.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I agree with bang. not worth it if I get a real small one I will do it but I have a guy that makes Itilian sasuage garlic and cheese, all the cuts are great for $70 bucks I just skin the deer and drop it off.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy

I agree with bang. not worth it if I get a real small one I will do it but I have a guy that makes Itilian sasuage garlic and cheese, all the cuts are great for $70 bucks I just skin the deer and drop it off.

We don't do anything but field dress. Take the whole deer up. As long as you don't get a bunch of bologne and sausages its $55. If you want the other stuff it cost a little more I think like $3 a log for the summer sausage. Oh I cant wait now! I better go update my countdown thread.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We cut all our own. We end up with better product and are sure to get all out meat. No one elses, or shorted any. As for the sasuage, bacon, sticks, polish and other processed items, we wait until March to have them done. This way again, we know we get what we brought.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I also have a mixer to attatch to the grinder motor to make summer sausage. Might try to do the stix this year.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    We cut all our own. We end up with better product and are sure to get all out meat. No one elses, or shorted any. As for the sasuage, bacon, sticks, polish and other processed items, we wait until March to have them done. This way again, we know we get what we brought.
    Better product[?] ?? What after it has been frozen for 5 months.
    I have butchered dozens of deer myself and consider myself fair at it. There is no way you can cut meat and prep like a good butcher can unless you have all the processing equipment. shorted??? as far as being Shorted only a few butchers will take meat and if they do they are not gonna take ten pounds from one guy they do hundreds of deer I'm sure they can get all they want. Sometimes an arrow or bullet does more damage than meets the eye till you start processing then it is apparant. I think thats where most of the loss of meat comes into play. Just my thoughts. To many nights at 1:00am still cutting with a big mess to clean up... thats in the past for this guy.. more power to to ya.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    I also have a mixer to attatch to the grinder motor to make summer sausage. Might try to do the stix this year.

Send some to me, I'll make sure its safe to eat.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    With our old grinder it would take all night and most of the next day to grind. The new one from Cabela's is amazing. On my last one, I was wrapping up roasts while my dad was grinding meat. We finished about the same time. Then we changed blades and put the stuffer attatchment on and started bagging the burger. Amazing and didn't have to drive 20 miles and pay $80.
  • Options
    Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    I process my own. Cut every steak I can out of the meat, scraps go to stew meat and ground venison. Had to get the meat grinder attachment for my wife's Kitchenaid. Average speed is about 3 hours and I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get mine processed. Not worth it to do it yourself, plus you need a somewhat clean place to do it. All I have to do is field dress and drop off, simple as that. Cost about 70 bucks or something like that and more if you want sausage and jerky.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I didn't see anyone mention the key part of cutting up your own meat, gives you plenty of time with your buddies and drinkin beer. I keep my knifes and everything in my truck all season long, never know when a deer cuttin beer drinkin party will start up. [;)]
    I cut all my own, every other year we usually have 2 or 3 made up into deer dogs and trail or sausage, but we take the deboned meat in to them for that. Need to do another beef pretty soon, the hamburg in the freezer is getting low.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    I didn't see anyone mention the key part of cutting up your own meat, gives you plenty of time with your buddies and drinkin beer. I keep my knifes and everything in my truck all season long, never know when a deer cuttin beer drinkin party will start up. [;)]
    I cut all my own, every other year we usually have 2 or 3 made up into deer dogs and trail or sausage, but we take the deboned meat in to them for that. Need to do another beef pretty soon, the hamburg in the freezer is getting low.
    I hear ya susp. it was lots of fun for many years did our own.
    Time limits what I can do now. for me it's worth 70 bucks to get mine done . Went to New jersey a few years ago came back with 7 deer everybody was tired yet we had 7 deer to skin and butcher. It wasant pretty because the guys started cutting corners and wasting meat. me being the quiet one called them on it. and because of tiredness arguements broke out. almost lost a good friend. I dont believe in killing an animal and trrowing half away and thats what was happining.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you guys need a walk in freezer set to around 40 F
    We never cut ours up right away. Not sure if it's right or not but I have always heard it is best to get them field dressed, hung up, and cooled out as soon as possible and to let the meat hang (skinned) up to a week if possible. I'm sure other ways maybe better, but we have always had good luck with this.
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always do our own...Boneless and no "Tarsel Contamination" Tasted some pretty funky deer meat from bad handling over the years...YUK!!...I'd rather spend the $50.00 on some chicken or pork for some variety over the winter...
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We skin it then hang it in the local grocery store for up to 10 days then bring it home and cut/wrap ourselves. I got a vacuum sealer a few years back and found it is the only way to fly. We also used to cut the straps and hams into steaks but now we just make everything into roasts then when we thaw it out we can cut the steaks, it keeps everything much fresher. We have lots of sharp knives, keep a steel handy and use due diligence in picking hairs.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carve it myself then I have most of it ground into summer sausage,italian sausage and stix. Keep the better cuts for the grill.[:p]
  • Options
    hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we cut up 27 last year, and 24 the year before that. i will never pay anyone to cut up my deer ever again. its too easy to do it yourself. and yes, we have all the equipment (saws, grinders, and vacuum sealers)