In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hope yall don't mind an outsider?

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
Well I'm kinda playin with the idea of grabbin a bow before this season and taking it out. Thought I'd muddle around this side of the place for a little while, if yall don't mind. Maybe I'll learn a thing or two and decide if bow-hunting is for me or not.
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I found a decent deal on a PSE, any good? I don't really know the model.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslovers
    Well I found a decent deal on a PSE, any good? I don't really know the model.

Where?

Some of the pse models are nice, others aren't, but they are designed for the cheap hunter (cheap might and probably isn't the correct word). All most any PSE bow will be good for you to start out with and you don't want to spend a lot of dough on something you don't know if you will like or not.

Try to stay away from some of the very short ATA and short brace height. These bows tend to be less forgiving in nature and for someone starting out, they might get discouraged. These type of bows seem to be the new thing now a days. I would try to stay above 36" for ATA and 6.75 or 7 for a brace height.

If you want something new, there are two, at least I believe, two good bow shops in the area.

Arrows II and the name gets me at the moment, but its in Wingate or close to there. Prices are comparable.
    edited November -1
    BTW,

I could always use another shooting buddy!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    BTW,

I could always use another shooting buddy!

I'm up for it.

As far as the bow(says 'max-55lbs'), it's in the J&C Classifieds for $75. Thinking of making an offer. Arrows III is a great shop. I used to go there all the time when I played painball. The Sportsmans Warehouse (new place over by Caterpillar) has a PSE Nova....

ATA - 35.5", Draw length 26-31", 60-70lb draw, normally $349 for $299. I'd rather buy a used one and try it out.

Thanks for the advise! Maybe you can give me a once through if I decide to get started?
  • davis shootingdavis shooting Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BUY WHAT EVER FELLS THE BEST FOR YOU.
    edited November -1
    Don't buy a nova. You could find something better used. I don't think Arrows III could touch that price though.

Just make sure the bow will fit in your draw range. One way to find, or get close to your draw range is have your wife measure your wing spand and then look at this chart http://www.pabucks.com/bow_draw_length.html

I could help you out some, although I am not an expert. [8D]

Are you wanting to shoot with fingers or a release?

Things you should ask them

What the draw length adjustments are
    What type of cables does it have on it (steel or rubber) this gives an indication of age, steel cables will put it roughly at 15 years old
    does it have a peep sight?
    what accesories does it come with?
    arrows?
    Make sure the strings and cables are in good shape by visual inspection.

Maybe the guy/gal will let you shoot it in their back yard first.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome Brandon....A PSE is not to bad of a bow for a starter.
    You right or left handed?.....If left handed a member here has a bow for FREE "hsracer201" he has apost about it.
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just make sure you buy a bow soon enough before season that you can practice and become proficient before you go into the field. there are many reasons for this, but i won't preach.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I recommend staying away from bow hunting. It is quite addictive and will cost you lots of money in the long run.[:D]

All I can say at this point that hasn't been said is.....Welcome to the addiction.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advise guys. Like I said, I'm just going to get my feet wet. I have plenty of friends that bow hunt. I've talked with a couple, I'll probably shoot a couple of theirs before I head to the shop.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advise guys. Like I said, I'm just going to get my feet wet. I have plenty of friends that bow hunt. I've talked with a couple, I'll probably shoot a couple of theirs before I head to the shop.

That's the best idea yet. Make sure you take one of your friends with to the shop so you get what you need and not what the guy at the shop wants you to have.
    Oh I hate to say it[xx(]but Bangs right.[V]
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    My brother has a parker ultra lite. 35" axil to axil fully equiped

sight Quiver limb saves string scilencers. extrea module sight peep.

Mint cond. $325.00. nice bow.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GO WHITE SOX[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag

That's a good way to make one feel welcomed.[;)]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag

That's a good way to make one feel welcomed.[;)]

well, at least he's outnumbered.

Welcome to the forum cubslovers. get a bow and start shooting it now. It's not an easy thing to pick up. Bowhunting requires you to get real close. You can become a good enough shot to hunt in a season with just a little effort. Learning how to read sign, get up real close, and making your one shot count takes considerably longer. If you like a challenge, bowhunting is definitely for you.

Welcome to the bowhunting side. We have the most fun.

Ben
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the asylum!