In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I lost one

gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
Went hunting with Shennen and Andy on Saturday. Saw some really nice hogs. One has to be off Russian stock and is mule hoofed, has white front legs, and 2 inches of cutters showing with his mouth closed!!! Of course he was only quartering towards me when I saw him. I shot a nice spotted hog, nothing special on the cutters but was a nice meat hog. My placement was high in the shoulder. I shot him abot 30 minutes before sunset and about 10 minutes from a down pour. The guys crawled through a cypress thicket until dark but we lost the blood trail because of the rain. The thicket is too thick to walk through so they had to crawl through it. It got way too dangerous after dark since we knew their were at least 3 other hogs in that exact area. I feel like crap that I lost one. I have never lost an animal before and it is really weighing heavy on me.

Oh yeah my day started realizing the night before that my new range finder had been stolen, along with one of our gps units, out of David's truck.

Comments

• Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    It stinks I know but it is part of the hunt sometimes. I've lost a deer before so I know what your feelin.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Yep thats a real sinking feeling. all you can do is try your best. food for other critters now.[;)]
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I kost a deer a few years ago that had softball size blood clots so I know your pain
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    sorry gagirl, but the day that you don't get that poopty feeling is the day that you aren't humane enough to hunt the animal. It happens. It sucks. The hog has most likely already been eaten by now.

One of these days you're going to catch that damn theif!!!

Ben
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    sorry gagirl, but the day that you don't get that poopty feeling is the day that you aren't humane enough to hunt the animal. It happens. It sucks. The hog has most likely already been eaten by now.
    One of these days you're going to catch that damn theif!!!

Ben

That's the sad thing. Where they are there really is no natural thing to eat it. The Vultures wont usually go into thickets where he went. So unless he gets out into a wallow and happens to die there he will become bug food. Not to mention he will stink so bad for the next 2 weeks they wont be able to hunt anyone within 5 acres of him.

On a good note. It is a nice area to take any of you guys for a hog hunt. Jeremy will be spending his time with his family and getting to see his brother before he deploys so he wont get to come down in November like he had planned.

4 days from now I will be in my climber hunting deer/hog... so that is what I am thinking about...My next hunt!

But man it does feel like CRAP not recovering one.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats a bummer.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,199 ******
    edited November -1
    It does s#ck to lose one. All you can do is know that you tried your best to recover it. Good luck in 4 days.