In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cold weather gear question

Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm considering buying some cold weather gear for this season. I'm looking at the goose down long underwear from Cabelas or some type of "expedition weight" set. I hate getting cold when I hunt and am looking for a good set of thermals to wear under my outer camo. What do you all suggest or is the Down the best way to go?

Comments

• headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Im a big fan of under armour cold gear tops I dont have the bottoms but have about 10 of the tops and they work great especially when you layer them I almost do not need a coat
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    It may sound odd but silk is some of the warmest longjohns made.
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i live in the south if it gets down to 50 its freezing here
  • Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use layering . In OK it can start out 32 degrees and climb up to 70 by noon.. Then I just strip.[:D]
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For me in late season it is any brand of wicking thermals, wool, and then camo. I would like to try the underarmor, but with the price I might wait a while yet...
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Layering (with wool or other wicking material) is the key. I hunt in MT and temp can drop to -20 F or colder. Keep your hands, feet, and head dry and warm ... and you are good to go.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got Under Armor last year and it really did help but now I'm looking to improve my next layer. I have a decent outer layer and the UA for the first layer but I want something for the "in the middle" area.[:D]
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    I got Under Armor last year and it really did help but now I'm looking to improve my next layer. I have a decent outer layer and the UA for the first layer but I want something for the "in the middle" area.[:D]

wool, I have found that wool over under armor or something similar and then have bibs and a heavy coat. This is what I use for ice fishing in january. I don't have a shack, I have been out when its zero and the wind blowing and I stay nice and toasty. I have also found a key to staying warm is keeping my feet from sweating. For ice fishing, i don't put my heavy boots on untill i get to my destination. I have hunted when its cold, but nothing compares to ice fishing out in the open with the wind blowing.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I had an all day hunt planned in southern illinois once, and it was a cold morning. Then at about 1-2pm it started raining. Then it started freezing rain. Then my clothes froze solid. I was, however, impervious to the wind by that point. I saw a deer at about 4pm, and was so cold that I couldn't draw my bow. I found it really funny, because I'd been so quiet and still for so long in such crappy weather. I started laughing at myself, and the deer ran off. So now, I make a point to not let myself get cold.

I bought a cabelas bibs & parka, and I won't do that again. Overalls only. The parka makes it too bulky. The cabelas stuff is warm & dry, but the zipper on my overalls broke the first season.

Ben
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    I had an all day hunt planned in southern illinois once, and it was a cold morning. Then at about 1-2pm it started raining. Then it started freezing rain. Then my clothes froze solid. I was, however, impervious to the wind by that point. I saw a deer at about 4pm, and was so cold that I couldn't draw my bow. I found it really funny, because I'd been so quiet and still for so long in such crappy weather. I started laughing at myself, and the deer ran off. So now, I make a point to not let myself get cold.

I bought a cabelas bibs & parka, and I won't do that again. Overalls only. The parka makes it too bulky. The cabelas stuff is warm & dry, but the zipper on my overalls broke the first season.

Ben

Ben send it back they will replace it free.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    hunt naked[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy

I thought I was the only one who did that
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    quote:but the zipper on my overalls broke the first season

was it the zipper by your boots cuz the same thing happened to me
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy

I thought I was the only one who did that

Think again![;)]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headzilla97
    quote:but the zipper on my overalls broke the first season

was it the zipper by your boots cuz the same thing happened to me

nope it was the front zipper.

Ben
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ladyhunter
    i live in the south if it gets down to 50 its freezing here

LH,The only time it's 50 here is oct. Then all bets are off. Last Dec. it was 10-15 in the morning and never got above 32. And thats not counting the wind and snow. So much fun though.
    I'm a big fan(though expensive)of Gore-tex/thinsulate with some good thermos and merino wool socks. As most of you know stay dry/stay warm. I'm talking about deer hunting here. But here's a pic of one of the warmer days last december goose hunting.
    JACOB12-14-05c.jpg