In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

parkers

likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭
Looking for a new bow for my 14 yo son, and a dealer recommended Parker's youth series, he explained about the lifetime warranty and the
GROW UP WITH PARKER PROGRAM
anybody have any thing good, bad, or other to say about this bow and or program.

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a ross thread going right now, another bow I want to try is a Parker. They aren't to expensive from my understanding though. Draw lengths are changed by buying a new module, although I believe they only do 1" increments, which I would not like.

A couple of other bows you could get away with and not have to do anything to for a while would be bowtechs and hoyts. With hoyts, if you get a mid range cam that would be on the low range of his draw now, you will most likely be well with in the range of his draw length within several years. There is a 3 inches of draw adjustment on hoyts Cam .5. I believe parkers and bowtechs are similar in their drawlength adjustments with just another/difference module.

I would also check out the reflex line, made by hoyt. You can get a the same drawlength andjustment out of a reflex slam 1/2 as a hoyt cam.

Now for the youth series thing, I was 14 once, not all that long ago although, 8 years doesn't seem like a short time. I tell you, I would not want a youth series bow, and I don't think your son would either. He is old enough to be shooting the same bow you would be shooting. Its just a matter of finding a bow that he isn't going to grow out of in a year or two.

Don't be afraid to go with a magnesium riser, I love my Ultra mag, and it wasn't to expensive compared to other aluminum bows. I feel that it is better then a lot of other companies top end bows and well above their bottom of the line bows.
  • likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My understanding of the Parker program is you send in the bow your youth has out grown and they replace the limbs, cams and cables?
  • davis shootingdavis shooting Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    but does it cost anything
    edited November -1
    $50.00 plus shipping
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by likemhot
    My understanding of the Parker program is you send in the bow your youth has out grown and they replace the limbs, cams and cables?

They will change the module and limbs, for 49.95. As it says on their website. Max draw length on the youth bows are 27 and 28" respectively, he might still be under that, but he might not be in two years, heck he might be big enough to need larger then that now.

How much can your son pull back? I was pulling back a 55 pound bow when I was 12. It doesn't take 70 pounds to kill a deer. If he likes archery, he will want something better and greater.

What I am trying to say is he won't like a youth bow! He's 14 and wants to be grown up. Plus the bows truely are better. There are plenty of good used bows out there for a good price that will give him the draw weight and draw length adjustablity.
    edited November -1
    Thats not a bad deal.Iwould take him to a local shop and have him shoot a couple of differnt bows.check out the hoyt or ross line both are very good choices.both have bows avil, with adjustible draws
    edited November -1
    All great ideas. I think I'll take him to the range give him a price range, it'll be a gift, then show him the options of youth vs. used vs. new.
    edited November -1
    All great ideas. I think I'll take him to the range give him a price range, it'll be a gift, then show him the options of youth vs. used vs. new.

that sounds like a plan! :)
    edited November -1
    oh, if you get a chance to shoot parkers and he likes some, they go dirt cheap on ebay and at archery talk becomes ever one wants bowtech/hoyt/mathews bows.
    edited November -1
    what state are you in.If your anywere near ny and i can help let me know.
    edited November -1
    Thanks, davis but I mainly roam the Midwest and on occasion South Texas.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    My brother has the parker lite for sale if anyone is interested'
    edited November -1
    Is it left handed?
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Is it left handed?
    no