In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

arrow drop question

jagjag Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
been cruising some of the topics and replies, pretty tough group but here goes...I just bought some pre fletched arrows w/vanes and wraps. they are about 23 grains heavier than the feathers without wraps that i usually shoot. the poi is the same when using my old and new arrows with field points. the new arrows are about 6" lower @ 25 yds than the older feather arrows with broadheads which shoot the same as my field tips. (following this?) why would this be? can the 23 or so grains added to the back of the shaft change spine or foc that much to have such a different point of impact? thanks for any "insight"

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    feathers have much better steering charactoristics then vanes do. My guess would be that due to the added turbulence (sp?) of the broadhead with vanes your vanes are not making up the differnce in turbulence with the broadhead. On the other hand, your feathered arrows are capable of making up this difference.

If the change was a spine issue, you would see left or right misses.

You also might be seeing some vane contact with your rest, feathers don't have a problem with contact, they just move out of the way.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    somthing dosent sound right I might say an inch or 2" not six... soot an old arrow and then a new in the same group mayby somthing got bumped.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    buckey, thats exactly what i thought so today i shot the arrows that are proven broadhead shooters, arrows i only hunt with because they fly the same as my field tips. guess what, they were right on. sounds crasy i know but the "new" arrows-the vanes and wraps are 6" low. definately doesn't make sense, thats why i posted question.
    shoff-i kinda agree as the only thing that makes any sense is that the feathers-which are also offset more than the vanes-are controlling arrow flight much better. the thing is-wouldn't that just help them group better with less strays? why would the vanes/wraps all group low and not just all over?
  • Options
    davis shootingdavis shooting Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    how are they fletched. same size vains and feathers
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know that GT has changed some of the arrows around from last year to this year, maybe the arrow itself is a lot heavier.

Back to the stabilization idea. If your broadheads are planing through the air, the vanes might not be able to make up for it like the feathers would. This could give you high and low misses, at least in my head I can see that happening.

By any chance, do you know if your arrows are porposing? I say this due to the fact that I went back and read through the Easton tuning guide. One of the causes of low broahead flight is from a high nock point.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What brand and model , grain arrows were you shooting origionaly.

which arrows do wyu have noe be specific.

I agree with shoff on the porposing that would cause the low hits. but usually you can see the arrow do this on its way to the target.
    and if the spine was not correct you can see tail whip. but like shoff sais that would be left to right.

also are your broadheads alligned with the vanes the same as with the feathers//

As the force against which the arrow is rotated is not constant but depends on the airflow angle and the overall air flow speed (arrow linear speed and angular rotation speed) it's a more complicated case then lifting the weight. The more the arrow has rotated the higher the force against which the arrow is moved.

The aim is to minimise the time it takes and minimise the angle through which the arrow rotates for arrow stabilisation as this minimises the change in overall velocity of the arrow resulting from drag (as we'll see in a minute).

Once the arrow has stabilised then you have an arrow with a changed velocity and with the arrow shaft at some angle to the air flow. The behaviour of the arrow is then similar to the displaced pendulum above. The arrow fishtails/porpoises back and forth with an energy oscillation between fletching potential energy and and the arrow rotational kinetic energy. As discussed elsewhere fishtailing/porposing has a minimal effect on the arrow overall flight direction as the drag effects are more or less symmetrical and cancel out. The launch alignment of the arrow itself has no significant effect in changing the overall arrow flight path.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    As discussed elsewhere fishtailing/porposing has a minimal effect on the arrow overall flight direction as the drag effects are more or less symmetrical and cancel out.

which direction would that be? left to right or up and down, or subsiquent cosine of those directions. It may not have an effect in one direction, but it will in another. If you were to create an equilibruim diagram of arrow flight, there would be forces in 4 directions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shoff I dont think we hace enough info we dont even know what arrows he's shooting are they cut to the same lenth so on and so forth. what do ya think more info needed????[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    Shoff I dont think we hace enough info we dont even know what arrows he's shooting are they cut to the same lenth so on and so forth. what do ya think more info needed????[?]

yes and no, The only thing i would like to know if there is a differnce in diameter of the shafts. This would cause the nock point to be wrong compaired to the old shafts. You might not notice until broaheads were put on.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wow thats a lot to decipher! they are the same 8.2 gr an inch. same diameter, same spine, etc. i didn't include all that info, just figured it was a given(my bad). buckey i am a firm believer in broadheads being in alignment with arrow SHAFT not at all concerned with broadhead to vane alignment. i don't believe that has anything to do with anything)though its probably a good argument topic!) shoff, my guess is similiar to yours but....if i was porposing would my broadheads with feathers impact the same spot as field tips? also would the arrows stick into the target nice and parallel like they do? the only reason i bought the vanes was the whole country is sold out of gt's otherwise i would have bought the shafts and fletched them with feathers like i'll probably do to these anyway, although i really like the cresting effect and may spray paint some of the ends(sorry purists, its easy and cheap!) and only adds about 2 grains... also considering trying some quick spin vanes. any thoughts on these? how are they with shoot through rests? thanks again!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jag
    wow thats a lot to decipher! they are the same 8.2 gr an inch. same diameter, same spine, etc. i didn't include all that info, just figured it was a given(my bad). buckey i am a firm believer in broadheads being in alignment with arrow SHAFT not at all concerned with broadhead to vane alignment. i don't believe that has anything to do with anything)though its probably a good argument topic!) shoff, my guess is similiar to yours but....if i was porposing would my broadheads with feathers impact the same spot as field tips? also would the arrows stick into the target nice and parallel like they do? the only reason i bought the vanes was the whole country is sold out of gt's otherwise i would have bought the shafts and fletched them with feathers like i'll probably do to these anyway, although i really like the cresting effect and may spray paint some of the ends(sorry purists, its easy and cheap!) and only adds about 2 grains... also considering trying some quick spin vanes. any thoughts on these? how are they with shoot through rests? thanks again!
    Well I can tell you that if I dont line my muzzys up with the vanes they do not shoot nearly as well. also with all that sid the only thing different is the change from feathers to vanes and the wraps so that must be it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    buckey as i said this is the classic type of opinion battle. the way i see it, if the arrow is rotating-like a bullet-i see no relationship to how the vanes and broadheads line up as long as they are parallel to each other. also, how would a 4 blade broadhead work with a 3 fletch or a 4 fletch with a 3 blade head? and your right, the difference IS the wraps and vanes, just didn't seem like it should be so profound. i'll get back to ya'll when i strip the wrap and vanes and refletch w/feathers as to what happens. i'm pretty confident they be a okay. caio
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure about the allignment I was told that the vane counteracts the plaining of the broadhead better when it is lined up. I do know mine do shoot better. maby its in my head but it works for me. keep us posted on the vanes when you change them. Oh yea welcome to the forum I mean NUT HOUSE good to have ya.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the welcome! been around the "ask the experts" a bit, great place for info and opinions....
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jag
    (following this?) why would this be? can the 23 or so grains added to the back of the shaft change spine or foc that much to have such a different point of impact? thanks for any "insight"

I'd stay thats why you are shooting low..the extra weight,foc
  • Options
    likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jag, the added weight of the wraps doesn't change the spine of the arrow, the spine here is a given,and will not change. But it does change the way the front of the arrow recieves its energy transfer. It's a physics problem determined by where the weight is added. Try wrapping the arrows in different spots on the shaft and I bet they shoot different again.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    like'm, i don't like to contradict people who take the time out to help someone they do not know, but......adding weight to the back of an arrow, just as adding or removing weight from the tip(different grain heads) absolutely positively changes arrow spine. how much in this case? i have no idea....
    surekill, i'd agree the extra weight will cause low shot, but 23 grains= 6" low @ 25 yds? that seems like quite a bit....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No problem jag, the physics problem is what I was trying to convey here. Besides I will still disagree with you on the spine issue, i.e. if an arrow is has a designation of say 2117 the outside diameter is the main factor in determining shaft stiffness (spine) and the 21 = 21/64, this is the shaft diameter rounded to the nearest 64th of an inch. The wall thickness code is the second two digits or 17. These represent the wall thickness to the closest one thousandth of an inch so 17 = 0.012. the wall thickness is the main factor in determining shaft weight. So in reality these are a given and never change. But by adding or subtracting weight to various points on a shaft, notice I didn't say tip, it will affect the flex of the spine differently, even though the poundage remains the same. The same thing would apply if you lengthened or shortened your arrows and every thing else remained the same. The arrow will flex differently, you may need more or less spine but not that spine. Yes very confusing, but that's physics. Like I said it effects the way the business end of the arrow accepts the energy transfer and everything in between.
    What he really needs to be looking for is consistancy in his arrows and I agree 6" @ that distance doesn't seem right.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by likemhot
    No problem jag, the physics problem is what I was trying to convey here. Besides I will still disagree with you on the spine issue, i.e. if an arrow is has a designation of say 2117 the outside diameter is the main factor in determining shaft stiffness (spine) and the 21 = 21/64, this is the shaft diameter rounded to the nearest 64th of an inch. The wall thickness code is the second two digits or 17. These represent the wall thickness to the closest one thousandth of an inch so 17 = 0.012. the wall thickness is the main factor in determining shaft weight. So in reality these are a given and never change. But by adding or subtracting weight to various points on a shaft, notice I didn't say tip, it will affect the flex of the spine differently, even though the poundage remains the same. The same thing would apply if you lengthened or shortened your arrows and every thing else remained the same. The arrow will flex differently, you may need more or less spine but not that spine. Yes very confusing, but that's physics. Like I said it effects the way the business end of the arrow accepts the energy transfer and everything in between.
    What he really needs to be looking for is consistancy in his arrows and I agree 6" @ that distance doesn't seem right.

HOWEVER, a change in spine or spine issues will give you left/right misses. NOT up and down. ;)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think that gets into the issue of mechanical vs. finger release. Fingers minnow right to left or left to right, mechanical releases porpoises up and down. Thats why finger releases use flippers and plungers and mech releases use drop aways and the like. He still needs to get some consistancy somewhere, and we haven't solved his problem
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well guys, thanks again for your input! cut of the vanes, scraped of the wraps, put on feathers and....guess what.... you could not tell the difference which ones were shot with field tips, which had been shot w/broadheads. grouped identically. go figure.... but problem solved. next i will try wraps with feathers....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    feathers have much better steering charactoristics then vanes do. My guess would be that due to the added turbulence (sp?) of the broadhead with vanes your vanes are not making up the differnce in turbulence with the broadhead. On the other hand, your feathered arrows are capable of making up this difference.

If the change was a spine issue, you would see left or right misses.

You also might be seeing some vane contact with your rest, feathers don't have a problem with contact, they just move out of the way.
    Thank Shoff he was right .. hit it on the head first post . nice job shoff. and Also Jag Nice to see your all set[8D]