In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How do you aim a bow...

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
When your shooting a bow, what do you look at? How do you know where you arrow will land?

Comments

• Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    How those instintive archers do it I don't know! I have sights on my bow and that first shot when you put the sights on can be worrysome so I have a bow shop put mine on and then I make minor adjustments from there.If you gain weight in your face the arrow point of impact will change because your knock point is different, ain't that crazy?
    If you run, you'll just die tired!
  • Options
    shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a peep site on my bow string for a rear site.When you draw the bow you look through the peep and put the pin (front site) on the target then let it fly. It's not hard but you must practice alot to get consistant arrow placement. You also will need 2 or 3 pins for shooting at different distances.
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I assume that you are talking about instinctive shooting with a recurve or long bow without sights of any kind. The only way to explain it is that it's like asking 10 different people how do you aim & hit something with a gun shooting from the hip. You will get 10 different answers. I was taught to shoot without sights as a 9 year old boy by an olympic archery trainer. I "hate" to say the be the arrrow b.s. but in my case its true. I concentrate on where I want the arrow to go and let it fly. It takes a ton of practice but you can do it. I taught my brother in law how to shoot without "training wheels" (compound bows are like a hardware store) and when he killed his first deer with a recurve bow I felt a great deal of pride right along with him. I hate to ramble on so I'll shut up now. Good luck if you try it. You will bust up some arrows but you WILL love it! RG[This message has been edited by rg666 (edited 10-08-2001).]
  • Options
    in2b8uin2b8u Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    pick up a copy of "Instinctive Shooting". You wont be sorry. Haven't used sights ever. One of the best guide books out there for the begining archer.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, to be honest I didn't even know that you could get sights for a bow.
  • Options
    bvinsonbvinson Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a quick question about recurves and longbows: How fast are these bows (fps)? Is the speed comparable to a modern compound bow?
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have chronographed several recurves. The best of them over 220 fps. RG