In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Compound bows

john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
Maybe somebody knowlegeable can fill me in on this: I have never shot a compound bow or even handled one. I have an old lemonwood bow I used umpteen years ago. Someone told me that the compound bows are easier to pull. For instance you can pull an 80 pound compound bow and it just feels like you are pulling 40 pounds. How can this be or is the information erroneous?

Comments

• Options
    shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've tried to explain it three times but had to delete it becouse what I said didn't even make sence to me. Go to a archery store and pull back on a compound bow and you will see the difference. Sorry but that's the best I can tell ya. There are some other good guys here that can help you better than I can. Just wait a day or two and they should get back with you.
    Sir Shane of the~Secret Select Society of Sauve Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    When you draw a Compound Bow of any given weight;somewhere about half draw it will become increasingly easier in effort to pull.Some decrease from only 30% and I have been told that some decrease by as much as 75%. So an eighty lb. pull could have as little as 20# of pull that you have to hold before you release.
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is why compound bows have pulleys & cams. These reduce the pull at a given point and will stay reduced until you release the string. Most good compounds have adjustable let-off (usually between 60-85%) which is the term for the percentage of pull reduction. I would definately go to a pro-shop and get some lessons and advice. RG
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice. I think I will go and try one out. I am not a bow hunter but really enjoy targets.
  • Options
    crazyplane21crazyplane21 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would this be John Carr from Lake Brantley Florida?