In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

wuffmanwuffman Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
Hey I'm new here and have a question. I have had both rotator cuffs
repaired this winter and would like to step down to a 60lb bow. I have a blue mountain badger with a draw length of 26" and I shoot
a 29" draw. Question is can I change the draw length? If so how can
that be done?
Thanks,
Phil

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hello,I have never been bow hunting and I thought I would give it a try.I was wondering what would be recomended for a first timer?Im not very big is size. Im 5'5" and weigh about 145 lbs.And Im not rich or related to bill gates!
    Wuffman was here!wuffman@bigfoot.com
  • Options
    wormbobskeywormbobskey Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What type of bow do you want to start out with, compound,recurve,longbow or crossbow?If it's a compound you can pick up one up at a pawn shop pretty cheap. Get yourself a wheel-bow, they are easy for beginners to set up and shoot. I started out with a bear whitetail bow, it has adjustments about 45lbs. to near 70lbs if I'm not mistaken.Idon't shoot compounds anymore, strictly recurve&longbows. But there's nothing wrong with using whatever your comfortable with.GOOD LUCK AND STICK WITH IT.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am a tad bit woried about buying a bow at a pawn shop I don't know what Im looking for or what is good and bad.I have a cross bow that has a 150 lb pull on it and its all I can do to cock it. Ive only fired it a few times. so its sitting in my closet collecting dust.Like I said I don't know what I want or need I was told that if I get a comound bow Ineed to find out what the break is and what I have to leagle have for hunting in Oregon.
    Wuffman was here!wuffman@bigfoot.com
  • Options
    songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wuffman- you may want to go to a bow shop and have them find all of your measurements. Then you will know what to start looking for. As for the break over, check with local regs, some states only allow a certain amount of let-off. Let-off is stated in a % where the % is the amount of the total draw weight that you are NOT holding back when the bow is at full draw. Most will be between 60%-75%. so as you can see the higher the percentage the easier the bow is to hold at full draw. Another thing, if crossbows are illegal you may want to check and se if the state puts a limit on the overall length of your arrow, in kansas that linit is set at 26". therfor my arrows are 26" long. But hte will need to be cut to fit the bow you have. songdog