In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old bows any good?

ironsitesironsites Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
Never have had much to do with bow hunting so my expierience is NONE. However; I just came upon 3 bows, they are old wooden ones from 5 to 5.5 feet long and in very good shape. They are NOT compound bows. Are these any good for hunting or are they good for just fun? Can anyone let me in on some ideas on what can be done with these and what constitutes a good hunting bow? Tell ya the truth- It looks like a chalenging sport.Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Your long bows are fine- just keep the powder dry. Seems no one uses this thread.
  • Options
    songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From my expirience, a fatser bow is usually more accurate, but that bow must also be fitted with the right arrows. I have always shot a compound. My first bow had the normal round wheels and had a velocity of around 195 fps with 100 gr. broadheads. I made plenty of kills with this bow, and it has done justice. But last year for christmas santa gave me a hoyt vortec. That bow shoots carbon arrows with 85 gr. thunderheads. One word: DEADLY. This dear season i took a 160 class thirteen point whitetail. It ran 40 yds. before it fell. I have also taken a few boars and coyotes with it as well. The carbon arrows are a little more expensive, but with them my new bow reaches speeds of up to 325 fps. The best thing fro you to do is to go to a bow shop, if there is one near you, and have them take your measurements. Then i would shop around at various used bow websites for a bow. Some people use a bow for 1-2 yrs. then get a new one. You can usually find the used bows with most of the accessories for half of the price of the store price but in new condition.songdog
  • Options
    Big TimberBig Timber Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd save the old bows for decoration and buy yourself a compound. If you have the money, I believe compounds are the way to go. Just my $0.02...BT
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Compound bows are like dragging around a hardware store. I own one but its more of a challenge to use traditional type bows like longbows & recurves. If you can, take your longbows to a shop. Get them restrung and buy a few of the proper size arrows. See if the bow draw weight is 45 pounds or higher. If they are use them to hunt with. Many people prefer to hunt traditional with these types of bows and its a huge challenge to take game with one but you will never forget it. RG