In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A tale of woe

sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
I'm not sure my ego will ever recover. For the first time in 23 years I didn't take a deer with my bow. Zero,Zilch, Nada, Nuthin!!!!!State of Mi. handing out deer licenses (doe) like candy for the last 4 years and telling us the deer population is booming. When the deer kill fell WAY below what was expected they blamed the weather. Must be deer leave the state when it's warm. They say that there wern't enough hunters moving the deer. I'm sure they will blame Bin Ladin before they're done. Mi. DNR is now run by politicians ( Engler) wanting money ( insurance & farm interests). A minor example of what we have to deal with is the new patches. Used to be that if you brought your deer to the DNR, they would age it and check it's general health and give you a sew on patch that said "Successful Mi Deer Hunter". Now you get a patch that states " Deer Management Co-Operator" Apparently being a hunter is not politicaly correct. Wonder who they will sell licenses too when all the deer are shot off...

Comments

• Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What the f#@$ is a "deer management operator." If I was in Michigan, Id start up some type of protest, and make them use the "deer hunting" patch. I know it is a little thing, but it always starts as little things.
  • Options
    sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Salzo. Here in Mi. we refer to Govenor Engler as King Engler. He made the head of the DNR an appointed position so he could control it and then appointed a yes man. They have spent millions of dollars of sportsmans money introducing moose that get brainworm from deer and die off ( never be a huntable population). They have introduced wolves into areas that no one wanted them because some feel-good conservationists felt we should bring them back. Uses DNR as enviormental control officers making for a shortage of field officers and money. A lot of pressure from special interest groups (can you say political donations?) is driving our game management. We discovered TB in the deer herd in a small area which they used as an excuse to decimate the deer herd state wide. Our largest conservation organization, the MUCC, is kissing his backside so much that if he stops quick they'll be stuck up too there ears. I've talked to many inside the MUCC and they are fed up too but the controling body of the organization is blind or stupid. I voted for Engler to keep out the anti gun Dem's. I ended up screwed either way I went. Be on alert. His term is up and he wants to go into national politics now.
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    The DNR used to give out Sucessfull Turkey Hunting patches here in Michigan too,but this was the last year for it.It`s a shame because they were fun to collect.The deer population is down at least in my area.I drive a long distance to work every day and have not seen as many deer this year as I have the last few.Didn`t see as many while hunting this year either.Don`t worry, the king has everything under control.
  • Options
    ZwickeymanZwickeyman Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you get tired of that type of crap you can come down to Oklahoma and hunt our deer are they may not be as big as yours but there is plenty of them and we still call our Hunters Bowhunters and not some cooperative type crap or Archery Harvesters.[This message has been edited by Zwickeyman (edited 01-11-2002).][This message has been edited by Zwickeyman (edited 01-11-2002).]This has me so upset I can't spell[This message has been edited by Zwickeyman (edited 01-11-2002).]