In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Crossbows ?

2»

Comments

• hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    Oral may not be "real" but most enjoy it just the same.
  • DickSkinnerDickSkinner Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    280MAN, what right do you have, or any other person have...as far as it`s concerned on how "I" or anyone else harvest game. Being handicapped has nothing to do with it. This is much like the views held..."Sporting Purpose Firearms" This logic is bent, and glad you also bring up black powder. The crossbow also follows this same logic as black powder...bolt action inlines with fiber-optic`s or scopes....are these as primitive??? How about this?If you are able bodied, you can only use a flintlock....after all, this would be all you should need. Doesn`t matter if you would like to try something else.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There should not be any game laws. Everybody should be allowed to hunt with whatever, and whenever they want. That seems to be the opinion of all the "crossbows should be legal 'cause I say so, and cause I own property" crowd.
    Happiness is a warm gun
    edited November -1
    Dear Mr skinner, I gues I must appologise. Even though I have read and re-read my previous postings and not once did I find any comments on how I thought you or anyone else should be able to hunt... Maybe I missed it,sorry if I did. I only meant to say that if you choose to be a purist-hunter,Ill back you with all I have. Now.. If I get my shoulder re-injured so that I am unable to use a "regular" bow, My choice would then be to try to get a crossbow permit,then I would follow the game laws that apply to my state. In this I would hope to find the same consideration from others that I would give them. I too hope to see a primitive season for whitetails in MI with Black powder,"no scopes and the like". Then I would probably get out my .54cal leeman custom full-stock with buckhorn sights. But, just like you I dont want people dictating weather I use my Hawken .50 or my inline, as long as I follow the rules, per season. Just because we are healthy doesnt mean that we can dictate that a "handycapped"person cant also enjoy a cool fall day and the chance at a good blood-trail if they choose. PS. I dont own land either.
  • DickSkinnerDickSkinner Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo, normally your post are spot on....the last one was not. No game laws and hunt with whatever you like, nothing like being curt. The fact of the matter on crossbow hunting, is the biggest ones against it are "Bow" hunters and New York is at war on this very issue right now, as bowhunters are the ones attempting to prevent this from becoming a regulated hunting weapon. This lame logic, the bowhunters claim it would shorten their season or bring to many seasons and lesson their chances for game.....bow season, black powder season, rifle season, pistol season. I remember the whining about pistol season years back in a few states that had never allowed pistols to be used in hunting. Then I remember the whining by BP shooters and inlines, when they came to market. Bow hunters were the same way, when cammed bows came out. Since game regulators control power factors of bullet size and draw power of bows for "their" rules of hunting....a crossbow meets the power factor and also can be regulated. It seems to me that hunters are much like they`re political brothers, they may agree to hunt, but never with what or what is the best; maybe just what they use, only! This would simply be another way to harvest deer for those who had tried the other ways, I believe their called SPORTSMEN...Just what does handicapped or private property have to do with this. Fourty states now have crossbow season. I may start hunting with a spear, folks like you gonna start whining bout that too??? maybe it doesn`t sit well with you or maybe it`s not sporting, or just maybe it will cut into someones hunting season and lesson their chances. Being handicapped may bring some feel good to the table, but that is not the issue. Regards Dick
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    DickI like what you said.Im afraid Salzo will never get it until he has had to miss out on a few seasons himself. I`ve missed out on over 20 yrs worth.All I want is my place in the woods.
    edited November -1
    Dick- I am not opposed to a "crossbow" season, but I am opposed to the use of a croosbow as an alternative to using a bow during bow season. I dont care about crossbow hunters taking too many deer, or cutting into my season, or any of the other reasons mentioned by my "I own land, and I can hunt with a crossbow if I want to" crowd. The way I see it, is shooting a crossbow more resembles shooting a gun, than shooting a bow. That is it! I do not think you should use a shotgun during bow season, I do not think you should use a crossbow during archery season. And until somone can explain to me why the act of shooting a crossbow more resembles shooting a bow than a gun, then I am not going to change my mind.And as a personal preference, I prefer keeping primitive seasons(kind of like bonus seasons) primitive. As long as you have the oppurtunity of hunting during a regular season, I do not see why we feel the need to modernize the bonus seasons.Here in PA, we have to use a flintlock during muzzleloader-and that is fine with me. If the commission decides that percussion is allowed, I wont be thrilled about it, but I might get myself a percussion rifle and give it a try. But I will not sit here and whine about "Hey, how come I cant use a percussion rifle. Whats the difference? I own the land. What are the flintlock shooters worried that the percussion and inline guys are going to take all of the deer?" That is a ridiculous defense to "modernizing", and one that I cannot even entertain arguing-but it is certainly apparent that my crossbow pals have no proplem going down that road.
    Happiness is a warm gun
    edited November -1
    I would have to agree Salzo; It would do me great pleasure to see our muzzle-season turned a little more primitive. Right now you can shoot inlines, I would prefer it would go back to at least percusion\sidelocks. Last rifle season I hunted with the inline after the first day and enjoyed the challenge! And to get back to the proper subject,,,I to dont believe that crosbows should be legal for use by all,Just maybe a few that can "justify or warrant" it. Lets face it, we all enjoy the out-doors, theirs got to be a way we all can if we wish.
  • thebutcherthebutcher Member Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo's argument is that it is supposed to be really hard to get a deer during bow season and crossbow hunting is easier. I think he is right. Most bow seasons have a miniscule take compared to rifle seasons. I think the crossbow is not really a bow, and should only be allowed in bow season as a reasonable accomodation for a person who has a disability relevant to drawing a bow...
    The definition of an "expert":An "X" is an unknown quantity and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.
    edited November -1
    Amen
    I eat my road kill!!
  • CAndres35CAndres35 Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WELL,LOT OF ARGUMENT BOTH WAYS? I HAVE HUNTED FOR MANY YEARS WITH BOTH A LONG BOW A RECURVE AND A COMPOUND. I AM NOW UNABLE TO DRAW MORE THAN A 25LB BOW DUE TO ARTHERITIS,BURRSITES ETC.SO I HAVE QUIT BOW HUNTING BECAUSE THE GOOD DR. SAID IF HE GIVES ME A DISABILITY PERMIT FOR BOW HUNTING THEN I AM ENTITELED TO A DISABILITY PARKING PERMIT AND I DONT NEED ONE. I WOULD LOVE TO BE IN THE WOODS FROM OCTOBER 1 TO JAN 20TH AND PERSUE ONE OF MY FAVORITE GAME ANIMALS. INSTEAD I HAVE TO LIMIT MYSELF TO SQUIRRELS AND RABBITS. WHAT IS FAIR FOR THOSE LIKE ME??? cARL
    edited November -1
    "Fair is a state of mind" for whatever that's worth. You have to figure out whats right for you, as long as its leagal and moral, just because the good doc says you can have a parking permit doesn't mean you have to use it. By-the-way, You wouldn't happen to know a good freind of mine, Jerry Pica, I beleve he lives neer you?
    I eat my road kill!!
  • Big TimberBig Timber Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe crossbows are legit as long as you have a physical problem with drawing a recurve or compound (physical impairment). I don't see the problem with that. BT
  • bmurraybmurray Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a permit to use a crossbow in MO. However I'm working on getting my shoulder back into shape to use my new Mathews SQ2. However, maybe crossbows shouldn't be used during the normal archery season from Oct 1st-Jan 15th. Instead have a crossbow season from Oct 1st-Jan 15th. how does that sound??????? Wow what a concept. Maybe some of you so called, HARDCORE, 85% letoff, caliper release, lazer sight, dropaway rest using bowhunters should use the real weapon of archery, the old wooden stick longbows with open sights and willow or hickory arrows and flint broadheads. Who gives you the right to say that only compound users can have the long hunting season, and crossbows should be in the short rifle season only. Remember, I shoot both, so I am able to walk the fence on this one.
    edited November -1
    I have a permit to use a crossbow in MO. However I'm working on getting my shoulder back into shape to use my new Mathews SQ2. However, maybe crossbows shouldn't be used during the normal archery season from Oct 1st-Jan 15th. Instead have a crossbow season from Oct 1st-Jan 15th. how does that sound??????? Wow what a concept. Maybe some of you so called, HARDCORE, 85% letoff, caliper release, lazer sight, dropaway rest using bowhunters should use the real weapon of archery, the old wooden stick longbows with open sights and willow or hickory arrows and flint broadheads. Who gives you the right to say that only compound users can have the long hunting season, and crossbows should be in the short rifle season only. Remember, I shoot both, so I am able to walk the fence on this one.
    edited November -1
    BMurray- Well, I to shoot both recurve and the super duper compound you described, so I guess using your standard(walking on both sides of the fence or whatever)my opinion is as valid as yours. And my opinion is YOU SHOULD NOT USE CROSSBOWS DURING ARCHERY SEASON!
    Happiness is a warm gun
    edited November -1
    Salzo, I agree 100%. We should have a crossbow season with the same length as REGULAR archery. But it would be called crossbow season and you would have to by a crossbow tag to hunt. Happy huntings.
    edited November -1
    bmurray-sorry 'bout that. Been getting quite an earful on this thread, and jumped to conclusions without reading thoroughly.
    Happiness is a warm gun