In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Safety Harness(tree stand)

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
I have been trying to get over my phobia of getting in a tree while bow hunting. I have gotten a bit tired of hunting on the ground, and having a deer get just out of shooting range, and then bolting as it senses me. I have seen a few safety harnesses that go between and around the legs, underneath the crotch, and I think I could feel comfortable in a tree with one of those on. Does anyone have any recommendations on safety harnesses for tree stand hunting?
Happiness is a warm gun

Comments

• Options
    hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    Salzo, the type of safety harnes you described works well! Different manufacturors make very good ones. My cousin uses one that you put on under your cammo and the harness comes out the collar. May want to look into this style, I like the way it looks, I already own 3 or 4 older style so I'm not going to spend the cash to get another. We have a large hunting group, between 10 to 18 members, and have had two accidents now. One from a home made stand breaking, the other from using a dead limb. My cousin still has pins in his legs, the other, my uncle has had a full recovery from a broken back. We no longer use junk stands and we all use climbing sticks or ladders! No mishaps in years now and our kill ratio has gone ballistic, nearly every member of our group including the yung-uns, get at least one deer per season.
    Though I was born to royalty, I was snatched at birth, so treat me as the noble I am!!!
  • Options
    psgpowellpsgpowell Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have tried a couple different harnesses & like the Fall Woods Seat of the Pants best. I think it's the easiest to put on (no tangles) & can be worn under or over your cammies. It's probably the one hunter280man is referring to. I use a Timbertall climber. The most important thing to remember is HOOK UP YOUR HARNESS BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE GROUND & DON'T UNHOOK IT UNTIL YOU'RE BACK ON THE GROUND. It may make climbing a little slower, but most falls happen while ascending or descending. With a little practice I think you will feel very secure in a harness. Good luck & good hunting.
  • Options
    COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A FULL-BODY HARNESS IS WHAT YOU NEED (NOTHING ELSE) NOT CHEST OR WAIST......GAME TRACKER SELL A GOOD HARNESS 20.00 TO 30.00 DEPENDING ON YOU SIZE..........TO BUILD CONFIDENCE IN IT .....GET A LADDER CLIMB A FEW FEET OFF THE GROUND ,,,ATTACH TO TREE,,,CLIMB DOWN UNTIL TENSION THEN STEP OFF THE LADDER...HANG THERE A MIN OR TWO....TO REALLY GET CONFIDENCE SET A STAND A FEW FEET IN A TREE....CLIMB IN,, ATTACH,,,JUMP OFF....................................MAY SOUND CRAZY BUT TRY IT..GOOD LUCK
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    I also like the full body harness. I just started gun hunting from a tree stand this year as it hasn`t been legal in Michigan until the last few years.I only hunt from a ladder stand as it is the only kind I feel safe in. My first time up the stand I shot a buck within about 45 minutes. Wouldn`t even have gotten a shot from the ground.Was still nervous even with a harness.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Something I forgot to mention- never carry your weapon while climbing. Use a rope or strap to raise or lower your weapon (unloaded) while you are in position in your stand. If you try that jump off test be aware that some brands of harnesses have a shock absorbing/buffering tether strap that must be replaced by the manufacturer after EACH FALL. Hopefully you will never have to do this.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thats a good point! Don't cary up your weopon, Last rifle season I heard a fella across a swaile from me drop his gun while getting down! All I heard was some comotion and a metallic fwamp! From the rest of the noise I hadn't a doubt what happened. I carry strings on each stand.
    Though I was born to royalty, I was snatched at birth, so treat me as the noble I am!!!
  • Options
    songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Must use the full body as the others will cause closed circulation of the blood and could potentially cause you to faint. If you would happen to fall out of the tree. Here is another idea that you may want to do. I always enter my treestands 2 hrs before sun up I used to have problems with falling asleep and then almost falling out if the tree. Here is my solution. I go to the junk yards and buy those old bronco seat belts from the back seats. Bolt then into the tree about chest high. After I have got everything situated I strap myself into the stand with the seat belt, as well as my safety harness, real snug like. Then sleep like a babyuntil I here the first leaf crumble or crow cry. Then at this time I unstrap the seat belt and get ready for the action.songdog songdog
    Be bold in what you stand for, careful in what you fall for.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Songdog- If I sleep in the woods, I scare all the animals away with my snooring.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Salzo- One more tip- carry a screw in tree step with you. If you ever do fall it will give you a place to stand while you slide the tether down the tree. By repeating the process you can reach the ground.
  • Options
    Duncan357Duncan357 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo,I have the same problem and the older I get the more hieghts bother me. One thing that really helped me was getting a stand that has a shooting rail, that way I feel more "solid" when lean against my harness. Many stand makers offer the rails, after trying several I tried the tree-lounge, and I love it. It's a little heavy, although the newer ones are supposed to be much lighter.
  • Options
    Duncan357Duncan357 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo,I have the same problem and the older I get the more hieghts bother me. One thing that really helped me was getting a stand that has a shooting rail, that way I feel more "solid" when lean against my harness. Many stand makers offer the rails, after trying several I tried the tree-lounge, and I love it. It's a little heavy, although the newer ones are supposed to be much lighter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    songdog and salzo; both types of restraint will cause you to pass-out! The belt may possibly suffacate you to death, but the full body harness will cause you to black out with about 15 minutes, but you should not suffocate. Thats why any smart construction worker will plan a way out if he slips! This comes from Great Lakes Safety Training classes, Believe it! Just set up a step if you are nervous, that way you can pull yourself over to safety.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harness selection also depends on the stand used. I use a Viper XL climbing stand and a full body harness will not work well in it. I forget who makes it but I have a shoulder harness that also doubles as a deer drag. Most of the time I don't wear a harness in the tree because with that stand you will have to jump pretty high to fall out of it, it's like a boxed in recliner. And yes I can shoot the bow sitting down and shooting a rifle is soooo easy . One thing to remember if you are using a climber stand(which is what I recomend) make sure you carry a couple ratchet straps with you to secure the stand, even though it has cleats it can slip. When you get up where you want to lounge( I mean hunt), just strap it in, sit down and grab a book and enjoy the day away from the wife. You may even see a deer to shoot at.

If you want my guns you will have to kill me first. I was born free and to take that from me you better be ready to fight.

Edited by - 7mm nut on 04/10/2002 18:53:16