In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Archery for the little people

ineedabrowninggoldineedabrowninggold Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
I am a snall framed woman and I just bought a bow last year. Problem is twofold, first any ideas what I can do to strengthen my "bow pulling" muscles in my back? I know that most men have no problem-but maybe their kids do. Second, how do you know what weight arrows and type to use? I have been using some second hand arrows that seem to be the right length but a bit heavy.

Comments

• Options
    lazywallruslazywallrus Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a few things you can do to build up your back muscles, you can turn the draw wt. down to where it is more managable and shoot every day for 15 or 20 min. Every week or two turn up the tension a little bit. You could also check out cabelas or bass pro shops archery catalogs or go on thier web sites, they offer a number of bungee cord contraptions that simulate the drawing motion. A couple years ago I hurt my shoulder , I picked up a kids bow at a kmart kept it in my living room and would pull it over and over while watching tv(the bow that is).

As far as arrow weight goes it has to do with draw legnth, draw weight, and the type of cams or cam on your bow. Do yourself the favor and goto a pro shop with your bow and get fitted for the right size arrows then have your bow paper tuned for those arrows. Its alot easier starting out on the right foot.