In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

string trackers ?????

sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
Hello all. Just booked a Canadian Bear hunt and some advice is wanted. I have a lot of faith in my tracking ability around here in Mi. Have tracked many a Whitetail BUT where I'm going in Ca. it's a different world. Either near verticle rock or swamps. Extreamly thick. Thinking about using a string tracker but I'm a little worried about performance.Would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience using them.(Good or bad, brand, ease of use) Would prefer not getting third and forth hand stories--- they tend to grow as much as fish stories. Thanks all...........................

Comments

• Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THEY SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! Don't use one. Just make sure you get a good shot & the blood trail is good enough. If the arrow blows through or gets broken off its not going to work even if they did work as advertised. RG
  • Options
    COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sealyon, Good luck on your trip. REMEMBER your bear hunting with a bow. Good shot placement is the whole key to a happy ending....Practice Practice Practice is the best you can do to get ready..............Use bright colors for your nocks and feathers, this helps a great deal to "see" where the arrow goes.....I too was leary about my first hunt and used a string....It work well.....But haven't used one since , some 20 years ago.........It's a good feature if your in real heavy cover and hunting in warm evenings.I think there only good for close shots, 25 yards or less.......If you do decide to use one, buy a extra one and shoot it at different ranges at your house. This will allow you to see first hand if it effects your flight but more important build your confidence in using the string. It was one good feeling when that string stopped moving some 20 yrs ago....................coonass

We Live in a World of Give And Take, But A Lot Of People Won't Give What it Takes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys. One negative and one neutral. I know what you mean about shot placement. A lot less tracking when your careful. As for practice, I'll have ruined two gloves and at least a dozen arrows before I hit the stands. Hunts in Aug. I'll keep you posted...........
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys. One negative and one neutral. I know what you mean about shot placement. A lot less tracking when your careful. As for practice, I'll have ruined two gloves and at least a dozen arrows before I hit the stands. Hunts in Aug. I'll keep you posted...........
  • Options
    lazywallruslazywallrus Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years ago I lost a deer, the following summer I experimented with the gametracker string, past 20 yds it really makes your arrow act squirrly. All that drag has to throw off the ballance of the arrow . It also affected the speed, I had to lower my sight pin a good amount. Practicing with it is a real pain in the butt too and hunting with it would be distracting, unraveling getting caught on things etc etc.

Where are you at in MI, Im living in New Mexico right now but I still have a cabin and property between Reed city and Cadillac. I got a little home sick when you mentioned Michigan. Good luck on your bear hunt..... Lazy
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi LW. I live about 25 miles n.e. of Lansing. Hunting season I'm all over the state. Been flingin arrows 30 years come this fall. How did you end up in NM. Seems like quite a move. Drop me a line at cblyon@earthlink.com. Would love to here some NM. hunting tales...............