In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

McPherson GC 3000

wallmanwallman Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
I got a older (7-8 years) used McPherson GC 3000 Compound bow a few days ago ,
I'm new to bows but I'm getting there.
Anyway it's a 50-60#, 28" draw.
I think the bow shoots rather slow (don't have a chrono) and there are
large gaps between the sight pins after zeroing at 15, 25, 35 and 45 yards.
The cams are of the "soft" type and small in diameter and doesn't give the arrow a nice push. I got he bow for $45 (minus sights etc.) which I think was an ok price for a beginner set.
I payed a total of $150 for the bow, Toxonics Predator, Hunting Rest, peep sight, releaser and 6 arrows.
I shortened the arrows to 25" as the tip (not point) are an inch from the end of the rest. (How can the arrows be shorter than the draw?)
Should I take the bow to a Pro Shop to have it tuned and maybee make it shoot faster (if possible).
What do you gays think?

Chris
christian@wallman.net

Edited by - wallman on 06/09/2002 14:37:28

Edited by - wallman on 06/09/2002 14:39:17

Edited by - wallman on 06/09/2002 14:39:30

Edited by - wallman on 06/09/2002 14:40:20

Comments

• Options
    n4thethrilln4thethrill Member Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if your arrows are shorter than the draw you must have an overdraw system i shoot 27 1/2" arrows i din't think i would go shorter but i can go down to 25"if i want to

you can be king or street sweeper but everyone is going to dance with the reaper
  • Options
    COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tuning a bow will not necessary make it shoot faster just straighter. Or make your arrows fly in a tighter group. Are your new arrows sized for your draw length and bow weight..You may have arrows too heavy for you application,,..Yes you should find a good pro shop to help you get started...........A lot of folks get hung up on arrow speed and bow poundage.......thats not what kills......................
    A quite bow with good shot placement is what does........

good luck and keep shooting

coonass

We Live in a World of Give And Take, But A Lot Of People Won't Give What it Takes.
  • Options
    lazywallruslazywallrus Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being a soft cam bow with a 60# draw and a relativelyshort draw legnth even with lightwieght carbon arrows you will be lucky to get much more than 200fps.However there is an advantage to a softcam it draws alot smoother than a hard cammed bow, you might think that doesnt maen a whole lot right now. But when you are looking at a big buck that bow gets real heavy and hard to draw smoothly. My father still uses a soft-cam at 60# and he puts venison in the freezer every year. what you have is an excellent bow to learn how to shoot with. Speed is overrated, and most of the time a real hot bow will only lead to a bad shot. Good luck. Lazy
  • Options
    wallmanwallman Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to the Pro Shop earlier today and hade it tuned. The bow was originally 52 pounds, now it's 62.
    The Easton 2219 arrows I got with the deal was all wrong, now I shoot Gold Tip XT graphite, total weight is about 350 grains with 100grain point.
    Now the gap between the pins are a minimum and It's not all that noisy. a real pleasure to shoot, relly smooth draw!

Now the bow works and I can continue to learn the basics of bow shooting and maybee later, bowhunting after rigorous 3D training.

In my country (SWEDEN) it's not legal to shoot animals with a bow, not yet anyway, but testing and evaluation is in progress.
    But in Finland and Denmark it's legal do hunt deers and similar sizes animals, not bear and moose.

Does anyone know of a good bowhunting outfitter in TX? I sometimes spend a week or two at a friend in Plano near Dallas, and maybee I can hunt with a bow when I'm ready and able!

Edited by - wallman on 06/19/2002 16:53:39
  • Options
    COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Wallman...........Great to hear you got that bow shooting.......Now you will enjoy it.........Good luck.

Two very good outfitters in Tx are:

Trulove Ranch
    SW of San Antonio
    www.bowhuntingtexas.cc/

Slator Ranch
    Llano Tx.
    Bart & Debbie Gillan
    915-247-4217

I have the first four days of the season at the Slator and four days after thanksgiving day at tru love................

These are some nice places and run about $110.00/ day

coonass

We Live in a World of Give And Take, But A Lot Of People Won't Give What it Takes.
  • Options
    hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    I have never been to any hunting ranch before but I have heard of both of these ranches...all good. Good to have a new enthusiest from over-seas!

Though I was born to royalty, I was snatched at birth, so treat me as the noble I am!!!