In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Just Starting w/ bow...

quamnetquamnet Member Posts: 332 ✭✭
I am looking to get started shooting a bow. I have always gun hunted but have been researching bows and they look very enjoyable. I want to buy a used quality bow in good condition. I am really looking for a Matthews (50-60 lbs.) I am in no hurry to buy one, just sometime over the winter. Where is a good place on the internet to buy a used bow??? I was looking for one on ebay and found some decent deals. Let me know. Also is there any particular models someone would suggest? I am 6'1" and have pretty long arms, but not huge or anything. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Options
    ZwickeymanZwickeyman Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest before you purchase any new bow, that you go to your local Archery Shop/Pro Shop/ Archery dealer and put your hands on several bows to be sure that the bow feels good to you. And when you settle on a particulr model, have a Dealer match the bow's draw length, arrow, etc. to you. Bows are a very personal piece of equipment and should be fitted to you. Besides a dealer will make sure that your arrows are the correct spine for the weight that you plan to shoot, etc. Just my $.02 worth but don't get into a hurry on purchasing equipment, just because a buddy has a certain brand of equipment. He will not be shooting your equipment you will.
  • Options
    quamnetquamnet Member Posts: 332 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only reason reason I decided I wanted a Matthews was because they seem to be a quality bow. I had no "buddies" involved in the decision. And I was planning to go and get a feel for some before I decide which one to buy, but I always like to get a few opinions from the forum before I go and do/buy anything.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Buy new. Alot of hunters have a gun for every hunting situation that they could possibly experience. But bow hunters typically have just one bow that does everything. Buy it right the first time from an experienced dealer who can help you w/ everything from silencing it to choosing the proper arrow weight, spine and broad head. You won't regret it. I shoot a PSE Nova, it wasn't very expensive but it fit me. Good luck getting what you want.
    Ben

Oh yeah.....Long live the Whisker Biscuit!
  • Options
    excaliburexcalibur Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a little input, Go to your local archery shop and have them figure out your draw length. Why Matthews? overpriced bows. Go for the best bang for your buck, Martin Jaguars tough and versitile..good luck..
  • Options
    jarjar Member Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot a jag mag for two years, Have killed 3 nice deer, good clean no trouble shots, thought it was great then I went to carbon arrows. WOW! 294 feet per second and moderately priced . good luck.

IF YOUR GONNA PLAY YOU GOTTA PAY!!!
  • Options
    reel-guyreel-guy Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ran a small town archery shop in the 70's.

Bows have come along way and the quality as well. There are numerous quality makers out there. Actually, there are very few poorly made bows nowdays.

Get to that local shop and have them fit you!! There are so many variables like draw length, shafting choices, and professional tuning to get the most from the bow. They will help with the many choices like.... composite or aluminum arrows, cam or wheel, single or duel cams, 3 or 4 vane arrows, feather or plastic fletching........... and on and on.

In short..... mail ordering a bow is a crap shoot and you may never get the bow tuned right. Poor tuning radically affects arrow flight and velocity. The few dollors you may or may not save are not worth the value a good small shop gives in service.

Good luck.

P.S. I still shoot and love my Martin Cougar Magnum I got nearly 25 years ago. Sure there are faster and more advanced bows, but I do very well with this old jem.