In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recurve Bow

hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
edited September 2002 in Bow Hunting and Target Archery
I have hunted 20 plus years with a compound bow. I picked up a recurve the other day and and shot it a few times and it was a real pleasure to shoot. I deceided to buy a used Bear recurve to shoot. I am looking at a tackedown recurve that is 60" long and 60# draw weight. The price is right and I have always shot 80# draw weight compound bows at 65% let off. Is this to much bow to learn with?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Anybody familiar with a black widow recurve or what it might be worth?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I HAVE A BROWNING NOMAD 1 RECURVE IF I HAD TO SAY IT IS ALMOST PERFECT EXCEPT THE STRING. WHAT WOULD BE THE VALUE OF THIS BOW? THE SERIAL # IS 7E6834 IT IS 44# 54" AND BELOW ALL THAT IS A I. ALSO I HAVE TWO PSE COMPOUND BOWS BOTH ARE AT LEAST 12 YEARS OLD. ONE POLARIS AND ONE VULCAN. WOULD ANY ONE KNOW ABOUT HOW MUCH THESE ARE WORTH.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would like to find a short recurve bow with around a #50 pull. I would prefer it to be fiberglass. I have not shot in around fifteen years and really have no ideal where to buy a bow.
  • Options
    excaliburexcalibur Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I think that a 60# recurve should surfice. The Bear Takedown is nice also check out the Black widow,Martin, and the Hoyt selection..Make sure you can draw the bow and it does not stack to much. Let me know how you make out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Excalibur, thanks for the responce. I missed out on the above bow but I got in contact with a guy that has 2 brand new Bear take down recurve bows. I choes the one that was made from lamanaited wood. It is 60" long and at 30" draw it is pulling 57#. I have this bow on hold and I will send him the money Saturday.
  • Options
    reel-guyreel-guy Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are you using the bow for??? 55# to 60# is more than enough for hunting most big game. For target however I feel that is too heavy.
  • Options
    trapper-johntrapper-john Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i hunt with a 48# black widow longbow and it's plenty heavy nuff.it's real enjoyable to shoot too. i feel the heavier # bows take away the enjoyment in shooting. WidowlBow
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. You use muscles pulling a bow you use for nothing else as I'm sure you know. However, without all the wheels etc you get to pull all 60 pounds. Try it before you buy it if you can.