In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hard sport to crack!

mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
Well I was hoping for a few more replies that would send me on my way but I didn't get them, except of course the advice to go to a Pro Shop. So I was looking at the internet for any information about archery and I couldn't find any educational reading. Is there a web-site that has information for beginners? Like explanations for the different items used on and with the bow, How to sight in, and other things a beginner would want to know? Or maybe a book that has this information? Thanks-Mark

Comments

• 6MMX2846MMX284 Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Goto hoytusa.com, this site has a forum page just like this one, all for bowhunters, you will find all the information you are looking for there. Hope this helps....swishman

In God We Trust...All Others Cash!
  • mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks 6MM! great site with lots of great info! I should be shooting a new bow within a few weeks. I haven't decided to buy at the proshop($454 for Magnatach w/ sights,quiver,leash,6 carbon arrows) or from the internet.
  • sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the sport. Couldn't answer sooner( been hunting). Hard to give any diffinitive answers without knowing more. Preferences and needs. What will be your primary interest--hunting, 3-D comp.shooting, or just back yard playing. Do you want to shoot compound, recurve, or longbow. My friend hunts with a bow that has so many whistles and bells, he needs an engineering degree just to shoot it while my brother hunts with a longbow with silencers (his only modern addition).Both enjoy themselves and wouldn't change a thing. I'll be gone about four days ( opening of gun deer season here in Mi.) but if you want to let me know what you think you want your set-up too be, I'll try to give you some heads-up. Been at it for 30 years now and I figure I've made every mistake at least twice. I own two safes full of guns and one bow and all I wait for every year is the start of bow season. Your gonna luv it!!!!
  • mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply Seal, but I couldn't wait I just ordered a 2003 Mangnatec with the cam&1/2 system, the XT2000 limbs, and everything else I will need to start. I went to my local shop, talked to one of the owners, and she set me up with everything that I needed. I spent more than I wanted, but I don't think I will have to get anything else for awhile, except maybe a deer tag!!! I am super excited, and the 1 1/2 weeks I have to wait is going to KILL me! I want to shoot NOW So the shop I bought my bow from has an indoor 20yd. range, and with the purchase of the bow I get to shoot for free for a month! It's $6 dollars a day, so I think I will get atleast $150 of range time in the first month That will offset the extra money I had to spend. I am worried that I will have to sell one of my guns though, I spent close to $700 dollars today. Oh well from what I have heard this package will last me a long time (I hope) I went with the Hoyt because I didn't want to outgrow my bow in a few months. I wanted a good beginner bow that would keep up while I progress. Hopefully I did the right thing by buying a Hoyt. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement, and advice! I am glad I took the advice to go to a local shop instead of just buying blind off of the internet. I could of saved a few dollars, but I think it will be worth the extra cash to get into this with other people coaching me along.
  • PiadeaPiadea Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kirk, congradulations! I know you intially thought my "go to a pro shop" post was kinda a cop out as far as advice but I went through the same thing you did about a year ago and ended up at my local place. (spent about the same amout of $$$$ too) The result is a bow that fits correctly, shoots great, and will be with me a long time. Good luck.

"Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything."
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Sell a gun?! Don't they have some kind of government assistance or something so you don't have to do that. Can't you use your kids for slave labor or something?......Just joking of course.
    Have fun w/ your new bow. Having a bow is more important than any gun that sits in a cabinet year round.
  • sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey mkirkland,,,Just got back. You and I have something in common. I may take months deciding what I want but when I do, I want it NOW. Had a Hoyt myself for years. Great bow. I think you'll be happy. Was a great company for service whenever I delt with them. Now comes the work. When I finally got serious, I shot 100 arrows a day for a full year. Went through four shooting gloves and about three dozen arrows but it has really paid off in the long run. Just make sure you have fun and you'll be at it for years. Keep me posted.
    P.S. Two nice 10 pts. taken from our camp----I got blanked---