In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

" How in **** did I do that"

sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
I always get to here about someones "20 point buck" or "I got it right through the heart at 50 yards, running, with the sun in my eyes." Not Me. Went on my first Canadian bear hunt this year. Practiced until I could hit a dixie cup at 30 yards regularly. Let a number of small bears pass. Finally a nice big boar came in. I waited until he was comfortably eating at the bait. Took my time, came to full draw, waited until he extended his near leg, and released. Bear launched himself about 10 feet when my arrow struck him and then stood for about 30 seconds staring at the arrow stuck in the ground. He finally walked back into the swamp. I'm in my treestand trying to give myself high-fives and back pats, giving him time to expire. After an hour I get down and check things out. My arrow is solid red, where he stood looking is a pool of blood, and a nice blood trail where he walked away. I follow the trail about 70 yards and it stops. Went and picked up my brother to help track it. We searched for two hours. No Bear-No Blood. Next morning we return and brought the guide and a friend of his. For the next three hours we climbed, crawled, and waded through the swamp. We looked in every stump, deadfall, brushpile, and hole. 0, nada, zip, nuthin!!!! I never give up a trail on a wounded animal but we had NO trail. Guide finally said " sorry but you didn't kill this bear" Somehow I could shoot bulls-eyes but I couldn't anchor something the size of a Harley.

Comments

• COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you know exactly were ya hit him........ Shooting game is not like dixie cups...... You must pick one single hair and split it...... Some bowhunters just place the pin and shoot..... like shooting at a flock of quail with a ole scatter gun........ NOT saying this is what ya did but it may help others..........

We Live in a World of Give And Take, But A Lot Of People Won't Give What it Takes.
  • SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the bear's fat sealed up the wound.
  • sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good posibility of fat plugging the wound. Thought we would find it dead when all four of us were crawling around the swamp. Going to a string tracker next year and see if that helps. Don't like them for deer but the setups for bear are no more than twenty yards.
    As for keeping a refined shooting picture, I even keep a sticker on the back of my upper limb that says " PICK A SPOT". Made that mistake too often when I first started bow hunting ( More years ago than I like to admit). I shoot at the smallest spot my 50 year old eyes can focus on.
    Never like to lose an animal but what a great time. I'll probably go every year now. I need a job with more vacation time. More seasons than days off. Not fair!!!
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    Dont know why you didnt find the bear, but as for practice, the best I have found is to shoot at a 3d target of the animal you intend to hunt. It reinforces the vital area very well, Also, were you using enough bow and broadhead to get the proper penetration you need for an animal as large as a bear?
    Good luck on your future hunts

JuJu (the amature bow hunter)