In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

TWANG!!!!!

oliver21117oliver21117 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
I have been shooting for proximately 2 month now with great success. In those last two months I have concentrated solely on my mechanics and with great success. I knew eventually my instinct and experience as a Hunter would take over and it has! I am concerned about the TWANG. I shoot a Hoyt Magnatec with ZR limbs a Doinker Stabilizer and cat whiskers. I am hearing a twang that VARIES FROM SHOT TO SHOT. My feeling is that the peep site rubber tubing is the culprit although it may be the bow/string itself. Any ideas or hints.

Also what size should my grouping be at 20 yards. Currently I am shooting a consistent 5 inch group .

Comments

• Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's actually the string. Putting on a string silencer will make it go away. They're cheap and really easy to install. Some of 'em are just rubber thingy's you actually tie onto the string near the top and bottom. Any archery store will carry them.
  • Options
    danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no way to tell what the "twang" is without looking at your bow. Any answer would be a guess or just bad advice!!!! Take it to a pro-shop and have them look at it. Before you do that make sure everything "nuts, bolts, and screws" are tight on you bow. Don't forget about the screws on the wheels or cams. If you tighten some things and your "twang" goes away great, if not, pro-shop time.

good luck

danski
  • Options
    premier869premier869 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'd like to know what rest you are using as it could be part of the problem however your biggest problem is the rubber tube it makes noise . the other problem with it is its dry rotts and breaks and will sometimes slip off the peep while your at full draw (not a good thing to have happen if there is a big buck in your sights ) . you can get a peep aligning nock from tru-ball for about $5 and eliminate the rubber for ever. as far as your groups go practice practice practice, your groups will get smaller. 5" is roughly the size of the kill zone on whitetail so you should not shoot any farther than 20 yards at a deer. i hope this helps .
  • Options
    tkd275tkd275 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that you should take it to a shop to accurately determine where the twang is coming from, but if you're pretty sure its the peep you might want to make the change. The only problem I have seen with the tubeless peeps, is the alignment. While many are "self-aligning", it doesn't seem to help with a low quality string that can produce a lot of torque and alignment issues. I would suggest a zebra or tiger string that really reduce string torque.
  • Options
    bullhaulerbullhauler Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First and foremost get rid of that @#*! tubing. Not only does it generate unwanted noise but it could cost you an eye. Not cool trying to hunt without the use of your sighting eye is it. As for the noise, here are some things you can check on your own. Check all nuts bolts and screws. I like to use a thin piece of rubber(the pieces of rubber that come with the kwikee quivers work great) between the riser and sight bracket. Also between the sight bracket and quiver bracket. If you shoot your bow with the quiver on, take it off. That thing causes unwanted noise and with every arrow you remove it changes the harmonics of the bow. In other words it causes the bow to be tuned differently with each arrow removed and has adverse effects on accuracy. Also will cause you to torque or cant the bow. Next check your arrow rest. Are the mounting screws tight? What type of rest do you shoot? If it is the 2-prong type, check for extra slack in the mechanism that controls spring tension on the prongs. They should move up and down but there should be no wobble. Also there is a stop on the rest that limits the distance the prongs can move. Press the prongs down and let them snap back up. If you hear a metal to metal rattle or twang find the source and put a tiny piece of moleskin or shrink tubing on it. Are your arrows properly spined. They should weigh no less than 5 grains per pound of draw weight. that means if you shoot 50 pounds your total weight of the arrow shaft, fletching, nock, insert, and tip should weigh no less than 250 grains. If they are under spined they will not fly properly and are not using enough bow energy. The remaining energy is transformed into noise and vibration that is distributed throughout the bow and WILL damage the bow. Are you using limb savers? These things are worth their weight in gold. It is unreal the amount of noise and vibration these things eliminate. Are you using a quality release? A cheap release can cause the string to hang for a split second instead if releasing cleanly and will contribute to string twang. You said you had a doinker stabilizer. Did you try any others or just buy it because of the name brand or what someone told you to buy. Try several different ones. I personally am not impressed with their current offerings. They are supposed to have a new line coming out that is better than the first but guess I will have to wait and see. Also you may want to try the limbsavers string leaches. They work 10 times better than cat whiskers. Dont last as long but they do work. Hope this helps. Let us know what you find out. As for your groups, 5" at 20 yards? Got to do better than that. There is a problem with your form somewhere. Are you punching the trigger? Are you following through? Is your bow tuned properly? Are you using a consistant anchor point? Put a kisser button on your string. It will help with consistency. You can take it off later once you get all the bugs worked out with your form. Also are you torqueing or canting the bow? Are you grabbing the riser when you shoot or are you keeping your hand relaxed? Accurate shooting takes months of practice and in no way am I putting down your progress so far but keep at it. It wont be long before you are replacing busted nocks. Good luck and good shooting.

welcome to America...now speak english or get the ****out
  • Options
    j1r11j1r11 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditch the damn rubber tubing, make sure all screws and nuts are tight and deck your bow out with limb saver silencers(inc. string leetches) Also, if you are shooting with your quiver on, try shooting with it off--these are usually very noisy.