In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old eyes low light and last opportunity

plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
Hello bow hunters. I have been bow hunting with some seriousness for only about 4 years starting late in life as gun tags are harder to get and the gun season is too short for fun hunting.

Problem is I am old (46) but my eyes are older! I began having problems seeing in low light situations, especially through the peep (yep I have drilled it out and made it bigger)and am wondering if anyone else has come up with a formula or idea that works for old eyes in low light?
Plains Scout

Comments

• Options
    danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could think about doing away with the peep if it gives you that much trouble. Maybe try a kisser button instead. The green fiber optic sight pins (many different manufactures) always have been the brightest non lighted pin for me. If you have not tried one I would sugest you do. For me when I cant see my green fiber optic pin any more it is past legal shooting time anyway.

danski
  • Options
    sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Danski's right on the money. Peep sites in low lite conditions are trouble. (Old eyes, young eyes, pie-eyed,no matter) I'm sure to raise the eire of some shooters but here's my opinion. Peep sites are great for shooting small groups on targets or on a nice bright day at the three-D course but should not be used for hunting. You'll hear about special set-ups or drilling it out larger. That all points out an inherent problem with them in the field. I would recommend using a kisser button if you shoot with a release. Shooting with fingers as I do you need to establish a consistant anchor point. For everyone using peep sites to hunt with
    YOU MAY START BEATING ME NOW!!!
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with a longbow and forget about sights. Learn to shoot instinctively.
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. Great advice. I think I will try a kisser button or maybe a Timberline No Peep. I would love to shoot a long bow and do so instinctively, but it took me 20 years to move from centerfire to black powder and roundball, and 10 more to go to bow and arrow, so I think for the sake of the critters I shoot at I better stay with the compound for now. Again, thank you all for the comments and advice.

Plains Scout

"Remember a warm day in North Dakota is a cold day in Chicago"[:D]