In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Weimaraner's

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
For some, god only knows why, reason my wife came up with the idea tonight that we need a $500 weimaraner puppy. I hope I am spelling that right because I can't seem to even pronounce it correctly.
Anyway, I'm thinking someone on here had one and I would like to know about them, besides what I'm reading on the net.
I'm not sure about this at all because our lab is just 3 and he isn't the type that likes sharing anything with any other dogs. I'm pretty sure my answers gonna be no to her, but I figure I should check into it a little bit so I seem like a nice guy.

Comments

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    the only kind of dog I would own besides basenjis.

Incredibly intelligent, loyal, and very very child protective.

I believe that they're also the only dog that will retrieve dove. Dog's don't like pinfeathers in their mouths, but a weim will pick them up by a foot.

Ben
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I still would like to have one but I will wait til my old buddy passes. he's comin up on 12 and doesn't need another pup jumpin all over him.

I like'em but thats just my opinion.
  • FANNINFANNIN Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suspension,
    I have one who is going on 5 now and I LOVE him to death...Very loyoal, and extremely intelligent. Great personallity as well! Great around kinds and other people, and gets along with my Blue healer/greyhound mix just fine! I would highly recommend them. I actually got mine from a couple that was moving to an apartment in CA when he was 5 months old. So I only paid $125 for him.
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Great dogs! Ok time to say "Yes" to the wife on this one.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl

I've got a better Idea and you'll score some points. Tell her no then go get it and suprise her. You can thank me later!
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone.
    My thoughts now are to go talk with the people, explain about our other dog and see if they will take the pup back if it doesn't work out. Not sure if they will, but that is gonna be my only option at this point.

FANNIN, is yours high strung or anything like that?
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard some real bad stories on them. One chewed an entire banister off a stairway, and one of my co-workers had one that got out of every type of kennel he put the dog in. Now after saying that... these were just 2 of many people that I have talked with that have/had one. All I can say is they are a very nice looking dog, and one I hunted with was good. Didn't retrieve, but that is a lab's calling.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    I have heard some real bad stories on them. One chewed an entire banister off a stairway, and one of my co-workers had one that got out of every type of kennel he put the dog in. Now after saying that... these were just 2 of many people that I have talked with that have/had one. All I can say is they are a very nice looking dog, and one I hunted with was good. Didn't retrieve, but that is a lab's calling.

Any dog will do those things if not given the attention and excercise they need. Some weimaraners dont retreive, most do. Just like labs in that way.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl

I've got a better Idea and you'll score some points. Tell her no then go get it and suprise her. You can thank me later!

take her there and let her pick her dog out. I would kill my husband if he came home with a dog for me that I didnt choose.

And if the breeder wont take the dog back if it does not work out.... find another breeder. I dont know of any good breeder who wont take a dog back. Now they wont give your money back though.
    edited November -1
    quote:take her there and let her pick her dog out. I would kill my husband if he came home with a dog for me that I didnt choose.

My wife likes suprises. Heck I could buy her an instant lottery ticket for $1 hand it to her and say "SOOOPPRIIIIIZZZZZZE" and she'd just be goofy excited.

Hmmmm, maybe I better do that the day before season opens.[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    quote:take her there and let her pick her dog out. I would kill my husband if he came home with a dog for me that I didnt choose.

My wife likes suprises. Heck I could buy her an instant lottery ticket for $1 hand it to her and say "SOOOPPRIIIIIZZZZZZE" and she'd just be goofy excited.

Hmmmm, maybe I better do that the day before season opens.[:D]

Maybe I am just too picky about what I like. I give David a list and he can do what ever is on there and it is well appreciated. But he knows not to just surprise me.
    edited November -1
    Sorry...I was out in Kansas hunting this weekend.
    As far as my Weim. (Grayson) goes. He is a very "high strung" only when we first get home. After that he is a regular house dog. We have a house on 5 acres and we let him out in the morning, and he eats and runs around. But we keep him inside all day, until we get home and let em out again. He has a Great personality about him and it's funny how "human" they can be. He also doesn't like to get dirty. He won't go outside if it's raining, and if it's muddy, he'll spend hours inside cleaning himself....kinda like a cat would.
    Anyway...I'll quit rambling. Good dog!
    edited November -1
    Susp.

Hey take a look at this site....it's pretty helpful.

http://groups.msn.com/Weimaraners/1.msnw
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the information, guess me and the wife will hash it now to see what we're gonna do. Hopefully I will get a word or two in. [:D][;)]

update: we talked everything through and thought about it more and decided to wait until our lab gets to be 5 or 6 and hopefully settles down when we is around other dogs. [:D] in other words I won one!