In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

It's been 20 years . . .

john in jaxjohn in jax Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
I live in N.E. Florida, temps in the upper 90's and GIANT mosquito's are common durring bow season. It was so bad that 20 years ago I got rid of all my archery stuff.

It has been a very long time and many things have changed - - the Thermacell has convinced me to get back into it.
I've bought a Bear Monster Bucks II, dressed it up with limb savers, etc . . . and using a 31" 2219 Easton Stalker I'm shooting good groups at 20 and 30 paces (pretty close to 20 and 30 yards respectively). Good groups = 5-6 arrows out of a 8 arrow group touching or nearly so.

#1 - I'm using 100grn field points, will 100grn broad heads perform similarly?

#2 - I can't tell any difference between the performance of 4" and 5" vaned arrows isn't the 5" vane supposed to shoot better?

#3 - Any advice for someone who's been out of archery for 20 years?

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Your 100gr broadheads should do just fine.

Practice a little with your broadheads to make sure they're flying consistently.

Other than that, I'd say don't fix what isn't broken. As you get into it more, you'll figure out what you like.

Ben
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Hey John in Jax! Welcome to the asylum. I live in Darien, Ga, about 75-80 miles from Jax.

The only advice I have.... is to practice and take this forum with a light heart it gets a bit nuts in here.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Sounds like your on your way and off to a good start. I would mention one thing, have as much fun as you can even around those giant blood suckers. [;)]
  • Options
    dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Living in Louisiana I can relate to those blood suckers. For early season hunts you need a thermo-cell and a pint of O+. The best advice has already been given SHOOT YOUR BROADHEADS! Depending on your set up and personal taste you have a choice of fixed blade or mechanical(OH NO JUST OPENED A BIG BAG OF WORMS). If I could I would shoot fixed(MUZZY or SHUTTLE) but I cant get them to fly like a field point. I am very satisfied with my mechanicals though, NAP Scorpions.
  • Options
    dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I almost forgot look into a drop away rest. Chech out Trophy Ridge they are worth it.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum. Good advice has already been given so I can't add anything there. Not sure what your set up is but some products you may want to look at for hunting

As mentioned already, drop away rest, there is also the whisker bisket that is popular among hunters.

the thermacell should work wonders but there are Bug tamer suits out there that work also.

Blazer vanes seem to be real popular also, I forget what they measure I'm sure someone can answer that but I think they are like 2-1/2 or 3".

ummm, I know there is more stuff but its early and I have only had one cup of mud (coffee).