In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need help with my grip

KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
I have seen and been told several things about the proper way to hold a bow. Most people i know make a V with the thumb and fingers and never actually hold it. Some grip it with the thumb and forefinger. I started off shooting this way but for some reason my accuracy is going to crap. After a few shots i can start shooting like i would like. But the first couple are never on target. But if I grab the bow like i was carrying it, i seem to be able to control it better, especially when i am at full draw for a very long time. I am new to all this and this will be my first year to archery hunt. I know i wont be getting practice shots at deer in the woods and the first one has to count. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The most important thing is consistency. If you are comfortable shooting one way then stick with it now that you are this close to season. Take it for a person who learned to shoot with a new anchor point this year... Consistency takes time and practice. The grip I use is a totally relaxed hand with the back strap of the grip running down the meaty part of my thumb. I don't grip or extend my fingers like some do. I find there is less torqing of the bow this way. All of the control then goes to the tension of the string being drawn.
    I hope this helps
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DCSO pretty much hit it. THe hand that grips your bow should be very relaxed (not actually gripping the bow but more just supporting the weight) and should remain this way even as and after you make the shot. This is why most hunters have the wrist strap on their bows. If they didn't have this, they would drop their bow. (I actually saw this happen on a hunting show where they were bow fishing from a boat for some type of invasive fish that jumps out fo the water when a boat goes by. Guy never found the bow!
  • Options
    KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will try it like that tomorrow when i shoot. If not, back to the way i have been doing it. Its only 2 weeks away, but i should be able to put in an hour or so every day.
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    See that is the difference between me and a pro. Same grip, just a much better at wording it. I am thinking about trying a finger sling for target work... then again maybe I should just leave well enough alone. Only time will tell... but I am not changing anyting until I am done hunting.
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can grip your bow anyway you feel comforatable doing so. Most people shoot open hand and allow the bow to fall away in an effort to eliminate torquing the bow with your hand (gripping the snot out of it after you shoot). The key is consistency if you can grip the snot out of it exactly and I mean exactly the same way every time then by all means do so and adjut your sights accordingly.