In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Deer feed

KaosKaos Member Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
Thinking about setting up a deer feeder soon but have never done it before. Where should I set it up? Near game trails, clearings, water source? For a deer feeder what is better to use, feed corn (any brand?), or pellets?

Comments

• Options
    KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can buy corn that has been cleaned for use in a feeder. Plus there are protien pellets that you can use. We normally put our feeders in a clearing.
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We use home-made gravity feeders with corn only. Tried the pellets once "Antler-King" and they got wet and swelled-up and started to smell really bad. Once in a while we gather up a bunch of apples and put them next to the feeders as well along with salt and mineral blocks. As far as placement goes, Put it up where you know the deer will find it quick, keep it OFF trails but not too far away from them. If your going to hunt over the feeder, I would suggest that you get your stand up first and clearing any obsticles in your shooting lanes before setting it up. Some people dis-agree with hunting over feeders and its against the law in some places too. Myself and all my nieghbors have feeders,we have corn,soybeans,wheat,clover fields all around us and the deer usually only really hit the feeders hard in the late season and at night...Sorry for the long babbling answer, I just woke up and I'm bored[|)]...hope tis helps ya some...