In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thoughts, opinions

bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
I have a tree line close to home that I can hunt opening day however it is about 1/2 mile back in the feilds. All the crops are still in around it. Beans on one side corn on the other (north and south) then another corn feild to the west and a creek to the east. Would it be a waste to hunt the tree line? My only real concern would be loosing an animal in the corn but then again if I can get high enough I should be able to see the corn move from an animal going through it if the animal was to run into the corn side.
What do you think? should I just wait til the follwoing weekend and hit the woods or go ahead with the little tree line on Sun.?

Comments

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I'd try it. Where I hunt the crops are still in also. They have until next Sun. to get em out. I would think that the blood would be all over the leaves of the corn brushing up against the side of the deer.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell you from experience, I don't think you would see the corn move. Say that however, if the deer are moving in between fields along the fence row, I would hunt it. Might not see much untill the corn is off though.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I have one place that I hunt that is great untill they cut the corn the set up is much like yours
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say hunt it if your seeing deer there.
  • Options
    PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would hunt it, I have shot a lot of deer that ended up in a corn field, blood trails are easy to pick up on the corn leaves. Worst part is dragging them out without knocking down a whole row of corn, especially narrow rows.
  • Options
    davis shootingdavis shooting Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would hunt it early and late in the day.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just find a spot they like to cross in that woods row. I hunted spots like that all year last year.
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing that you need to ask this time of year is "are they feeding on these crops?" If teh answer is "yes" of either, then you would be okay to hunt it. Is this creating a funnel between the areas or two woods for example? In my area, the beans are starting to turn brown and that means that the deer will start looking for other food sources. I also wouldn't worry about tracking a deer in the corn. Cross that bridge when the time comes. (You have to hit the deer first, then worry about finding him! I use this same theory in fishing, I'll cast into really difficult places if I think there is a good fish there, then worry about how I'll get em in!)
  • Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a potentially good spot Bang. Like mentioned before, look for trails between corn and fence and especially where the deer are crossing into the beans. I'd hunt it.

That is unless you think you can kill more and bigger deer sitting on the couch waiting for next weekend to roll around. [;)]
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lmbhngr

That is unless you think you can kill more and bigger deer sitting on the couch waiting for next weekend to roll around. [;)]

Now thats funny right there.[:D]....But true[B)]
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Have ya scouted it yet? I would go with the video camera this week set up and see what kind of action is going on... I doubt if they are eating corn now but they could be bedding in the corn... won't know unless ya give it a try .... get em partener.[;)]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:That is unless you think you can kill more and bigger deer sitting on the couch waiting for next weekend to roll around

Point taken![:D]

I know there is a big old doe up in there and there was a sweet 8 last year. Unfortunately I'm afraid he may have been road kill here a couple weeks ago. Not sure if it was him or not but whomever hit him took the head gear so I'm guessin it was somethin worth while. This past spring while workin ground before planting I saw 4 deer up in the tree line. there are rubs trails and places in the (oh yeah forgot to mention) water way that runs up to the treeline that is pretty tall grass where they have been bedding. Saw 3 last week that where just a weee bit north of the tree line. I think I am going to go for it. Thanks all!!!