In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what accessories needed for new bow?

goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
ok, asking for a bow for Christmas...after reading advice about this in the past I am asking for a Cabelas gift card so I can go there and get the "right bow" to fit me. My question is, what accessories do I need (mandatory for hunting) and what accessories are nice but not neccesarily needed?

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    arrows, hunting arrows, not target arrows
    a quiver, either detactable, bolt on bow, or back pack
    High quality broadheads
    an extra release, exactly the same as the one you have now, or will receive
    a decent sight
    a rest
    feild points, the same wieght as your broadheads to practice

I would call all those things mandatory
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
  • Options
    hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    are you new to hunting, or just new to bowhunting? if so, you will need a tree stand, camo, scents, and stuff too.

i would add string silencers and a peep sight to the original list of goodies.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am just new to bow hunting, been hunting with rifle for about 7 years now, shooting for 10 years. Want to be able to get into hunting earlier in the year than I currently do.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    U will need a target to shoot cabellas has some on sale at a pretty good price in there bargan cave
  • Options
    thunderstick82thunderstick82 Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your new to shooting a bow I would also suggest an arm guard. I learned the hard way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thunderstick82
    If your new to shooting a bow I would also suggest an arm guard. I learned the hard way.

If he is set up correctly and the place were he purchases the bow should teach him enough that he won't have arm slap.
  • Options
    davis shootingdavis shooting Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is very true .If you shoot correctly you wont slap you arm.Go to a proshop[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is Cabelas good for archery stuff? I don't know of any other place around me that deals with archery other than one of the chain stores like Dick's Sporting Goods...but I can't see anyone there having much specific knowledge.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goldeneagle76
    Is Cabelas good for archery stuff? I don't know of any other place around me that deals with archery other than one of the chain stores like Dick's Sporting Goods...but I can't see anyone there having much specific knowledge.

Cabela's will be better then dicks, dicks doesn't really have a "bow shop" Cabela's does, don't know how good their people are there though, probably about the same as your average bow shop. With Cabela's you are limited in brands, PSE, Relfex, Parker, Fred Bear, Browning. Some of these bows are lower end bows, which just might be what you need to start though. Cabela's carries lots of stuff for hunting though, and you should be able to try a couple of releases there. Try a Reflex highlander, you might like it. [;)]

Dicks is hit in miss, my local Dicks carries Reflex, Box store Martins, and Browning, and I couldn't see myself purchasing a bow there ever.

check this site, maybe you can find a local shop

http://www.archeryphonebook.com/
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gander Mountain is good. If there's one near by? At least the one by me. It does help that a friend of mine works there in the archey section.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just found that there are 2 Gander Mountain stores within 1hr 40 minutes from my house...are they that much better for Archery than Cabelas? This is for an adult beginner bow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just found that there are 2 Gander Mountain stores within 1hr 40 minutes from my house...are they that much better for Archery than Cabelas? This is for an adult beginner bow.

depends on the gander mountain. It seems some gander mountains are good, some aren't from what I hear.
  • Options
    jberginjbergin Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.bassproshop.com REDHEAD ARCHERY AND MONEY BACK CARD HANDS DOWN ive hunted over 20 years and have taken well over 100+ Big Game glad to help im in sw florida halla quote:Originally posted by shoff14

Cabela's will be better then dicks, dicks doesn't really have a "bow shop" Cabela's does, don't know how good their people are there though, probably about the same as your average bow shop. With Cabela's you are limited in brands, PSE, Relfex, Parker, Fred Bear, Browning. Some of these bows are lower end bows, which just might be what you need to start though. Cabela's carries lots of stuff for hunting though, and you should be able to try a couple of releases there. Try a Reflex highlander, you might like it. [;)]

Dicks is hit in miss, my local Dicks carries Reflex, Box store Martins, and Browning, and I couldn't see myself purchasing a bow there ever.

check this site, maybe you can find a local shop

http://www.archeryphonebook.com/