In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Early rut sign in September

DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
This is very odd for my area, but I went scouting on some Federal land Saturday morning and found a bunch of rut activity. Normally, we do not start seeing scrapes and rubs until late October to early November. It has been unseasonably cool the past few weeks and I guess the cool nights has them going. I found at least a dozen fresh scrapes with licking branches all chewed up. The rubs I found were not from a buck rubbing off velvet, they were aggressive rubs marking territory. One good sized cedar was broke off at about 3' high and rubbed all the way to the ground. I wish I had taken my camera. I'll be hunting there on opening day, the 7th of Oct. Will post pics if I score. Good luck to all. [8D]

Comments

• hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    don, there is a very active scrape on a rub line at my friend's dad's property. kinda odd too, huh? we're only a couple hours apart.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think scrap and rubs are really a sign of an early rut. Rut is a time of breeding, yes territoral signs show up at this time. But really I think deer will tend to start nocking off their velvet at this time and earlier, making marks doing it. Just like they mark up their area in the spring getting rid of their antlers.