In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Broadheads shooting left

john in jaxjohn in jax Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
I know broadheads aren't likely to shoot like field point, but I'm curious as to why my broadheads (same weight, 125grn, as my field points) shoot about 6"-7" left at 25 paces.

Not high, not low, just 6"-7" left. Easily compensated for, they are very consistant/acurate, but it is not what I expected, and I'm wondering as to the hows and why's behind it.

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    because they plane more on the wind. are the grouping well if so move your sight 1/4 inch to the left and shoot again. there are a lot of things that can cause problems but at this time of year like I said I would just move the sight to the left,
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your arrows have too stiff of a spine if you are a right handed shooter.

You can either

raise your bow wieght, depending on your shafts, 1 pound goes a long way.
    Move your rest towards your riser. If you have a micro adjust rest, I would stick with 1/64th increments. Maybe move a max of 1/16th of an inch.

Or you can do it the redneck way and just move your sight over.

Comment - you must be shooting a log in order to have a 125 grain point and have a stiff spine.
  • john in jaxjohn in jax Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The shafts are 31" Easton 2219's The cheap ones they sell at Dicks, Sports Authority, WalMart, etc. . . . 4" vanes

At 25 paces I get OK groups (6-8 arrow groups in a +/-5" area usually with several arrow touching) with either the field points or broadheads.

The Bow is a Bear Monster Bucks II I picked up used a couple of months ago (been away from bow hunting/shooting for 20ish years). I've got the limbs tightend all the way down for max poundage. I don't know exactly what that is, assuming it's 70#.

Yep I'm right handed. I'll try moving the rest that 1/64th tword my riser.
    edited November -1
    Since you are going to move the rest over, you can get a more accurate tuning if you walk back a little farther, hence the name, walk back tunning

Do this if have the ability, you can search the net for better explaination of what I am going to explain. I have only done it a few times, and it really brings the grouping closer

Take a string and put some wieght on it or take a piece of masking tape and attach the tape or string verticaly on your target, make sure it goes through an aiming point, such as a dot or circle, or whatever you aim at.

Take and shoot 1 arrow at 20 yards, 1 at 30 yards, 1 at 35 yards, 1 at 40, and 1 at 45. SHoot all of them aiming at the SAME SPOT, using your 20 YARD PIN. You will see a pattern that is a downward and to the left, they should be in a line of some sort, as long as you didn't have a bad shot.

Take and move the rest to the right untill you get all 5 arrows to line up in a straight line parallel to the string or tape. Once you have them in a straight line up and down, then adjust your sight at 20 yards back to where its on target.

Search the net for "walk back tuning" I am sure there is something out there about it.
    edited November -1
    With shooting 2119's I can't imagine you would be overspined at 70 pounds, if anything it would be underspined. So moving your rest if your willing to is the best bet.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    With shooting 2119's I can't imagine you would be overspined at 70 pounds, if anything it would be underspined. So m if your willing to is the best bet.
    oving your rest So m if your willing to is the best bet. and you called me a red neck aftr all that hot air[:0] you told him to do the same thing ... you hillbillie[:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    With shooting 2119's I can't imagine you would be overspined at 70 pounds, if anything it would be underspined. So m if your willing to is the best bet.
    oving your rest So m if your willing to is the best bet. and you called me a red neck aftr all that hot air[:0] you told him to do the same thing ... you hillbillie[:D][:D]

Mastercam is running to slow and has me agitated. Or you can see my skills are not in writing. [;)]
  • jagjag Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    j in j. what kind of rest? try feathers or moving your rest in. i have had the same problem as i'm sure thousands have! my feathers shot the same as my field points when tipped with broadheads, when i put on vanes, 6-7" to the right. moved my rest out from the riser-bingo- all arrows, didn't matter which ones, vanes, feathers or quickspins, they all shot the same! you can get your broadheads and target tips to shoot the same if you put in the effort tuning, though now is a little late....
  • john in jaxjohn in jax Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rest is one of the "been-around-forever" metal pronged ones. I'was going to look into a wisker biscut or something similar for next yeat, IF I enjoy myself this year.

There weather is so warm and the bugs so bad here in NE Florida that I got rid of all my stuff almost 20 years ago. Great experiences with a Thermacel convinced me to stick my toe in back in the archery waters.

As mentioned above at 25 paces I can get an acceptable group right where I want 'em, I just have to aim 6" to the right. I'll try and nudge the rest a little, but any significant tuning or better accessories are going to have to wait until after the season is over.