In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

5 feet away!

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
OKay, here's the deal...neither of my parents hunt. I hunt with my grandfather and uncles...my uncles have had to do alot of working this year which = sucky hunting for me. I'm seventeen until november 13th not yet legal to hunt alone. I HATE IT. Although there is good news...my uncle owns about 2 acres behind his hous ethat have a good bit of deer in there. A FEW RECORD BREAKERS I might add lol. But I have to be careful on shooting, if the buck should run more than 250 + yards he might end up in someones yard!?! Although theres lots of does in there, guarunteed to see atleast 5 doe a night, I wouldn't shoot one this late in oct. due to the rut so close...I have found a few scrapes already! So here's the scenario...Im sitting against a big oak tree, no wind, no rain, and here comes these doe...right at me. All are within bow range, one of the smaller doe get within five feet of me and I swear to you guys my heart was beating harder then it ever has! My question to you is, if I keep hunting this way, will I see a buck...I see doe everynight. And me being on the ground is it risky for scent?

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    If your hunting with a bow from the ground that's ok just check to be sure the wind is in your favor or you will GET BUSTED"" Also yes if a hot doe come by well 3 weeks from now there is a good chance a buck will be in tow. I would use a treestand because if that doe does that during the rut the buck will probley run you over[;)][:D]
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Ain't it a rush. That is why I hunt primarily from the ground and in all honesty it hasn't hurt my hunting one bit. As a matter of fact it has probably improved it because I am able to be mor mobile. Watch the wind and when you have to move do it at a snails pace. If a deer visually "busts" you freeze. If you can remain still and keep your composure a fast majority of deer will go back to what they were doing. Just don't fall for the foot stomping and head bob (which can go on for what seems like an eternity).

If you are confortable with what you are doing keep at it . If not move to the trees. Ground hunting is all about becoming part of the environment, being patient and confidence.