In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shoulder injury and bow hunting

elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
18 months ago I was ready for my first archery hunt when I went OTB on a motorcycle and suffered a Type III A/C C/C shoulder separation. Basically my collar bone is not attached to my shoulder.

I'm having difficulty drawing my bow but it is an old bow from the days of the radical hatchet cams. When they roll over the collar bone rubs against the A/C connection and can be very painful.

Any one have any recommendations for a bow with a high let-off and a smooth rollover? What about just shooting with the other hand?

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You won't find a bow with a high let off and a smooth roll over. Any 80-85% let off bow I have pulled back is a little, ok a lot, rough on the roll over.

Shooting with your other hand would be ok if you can get your eyes to work correctly.

You still might have a problem holding a bow. I know that my holding arm is usually the one that is sore if I have any soreness from shooting.

I have been through shoulder and elbow problems in my draw hand. Not a fun thing, but with physical therapy I have been able to work through the problems.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too have shoulder problems in my draw arm. Shattered the socket when I was in high school. That is what took me out of archery for 10 years. The doc said I would never be able to shoo again. Prooved him wrong! When I started shooting there was a little pain, but after shooting 3 or 4 times a week, that went away as I worked up my shots. Now I shoot as much as I want at 68 lbs but do not have an 80% cam either.

Hang in there and keep working on it. Things will improve. My guess it is more in conditioning your shoulder than the bow you are shooting... Unless you want me to tell you to go out and buy a new bow. Hey we all need an excuse. Right?
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    elkoholic, just remember: A 40lb draw with an arrow in the kill zone is as deadly as an 80lb draw with an arrow in the kill zone. When I first began hunting I could barely pull 40lbs, and still killed deer. I would have killed a whole lot more if I had experience.

Ben
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    I too have shoulder problems in my draw arm. Shattered the socket when I was in high school. That is what took me out of archery for 10 years. The doc said I would never be able to shoo again. Prooved him wrong! When I started shooting there was a little pain, but after shooting 3 or 4 times a week, that went away as I worked up my shots. Now I shoot as much as I want at 68 lbs but do not have an 80% cam either.

Hang in there and keep working on it. Things will improve. My guess it is more in conditioning your shoulder than the bow you are shooting... Unless you want me to tell you to go out and buy a new bow. Hey we all need an excuse. Right?

I drew my buddies Bowtech a few times and I didn't hurt nearly as badly. [:)]

I've got mine turned down as far as it will go and I'm shooting 2x a week just trying to build it back up. I'll keep working at it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    elkoholic, just remember: A 40lb draw with an arrow in the kill zone is as deadly as an 80lb draw with an arrow in the kill zone. When I first began hunting I could barely pull 40lbs, and still killed deer. I would have killed a whole lot more if I had experience.

Ben

Yeah, I know. But having that extra margin of error sure is nice.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elkoholic
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben

Ben

Yeah, I know. But having that extra margin of error sure is nice.

a well tuned 40 pound bow that you can hold steady can outshoot a 70 pound bow that your are having trouble with any day of the week. There was a topic about over gunning in the GD section a couple of weeks ago. I am a firm believer that bow hunters "over bow".
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i only pull 45 pounds and my bow is just as fast as my hubby pulling 60 the only diffence is that my arrow drops faster then his but at 25 yards who cares
    edited November -1
    Ok the general consensus is to shoot a lighter bow...So let me ask this question...

If you were going exclusively after elk (a 500-700 lb animal)and the average encounter range was 45 yards, what would you shoot?

I was set at 72# shooting a 125 gr thunderhead on top of an aluminum arrow (don't remember the trimmed weight)
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elkoholic
    Ok the general consensus is to shoot a lighter bow...So let me ask this question...

If you were going exclusively after elk (a 500-700 lb animal)and the average encounter range was 45 yards, what would you shoot?

I was set at 72# shooting a 125 gr thunderhead on top of an aluminum arrow (don't remember the trimmed weight)

That kind of changes things. There's a lot of drop on any arrow at 45 yards, take away too much energy, and you're really going to have a slow arrow out that far. I just don't know. I don't have any elk experience.

Ben
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Try a Bowtech with the smooth mods and see what that is like. I'm not sure I haven't pulled them on ly the speed mods. might work for you.?
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    You might want to find a roundwheel bow with 65% letoff (good luck!!!!!). Thought I don't have the same problem as you I find the rollover of the cams is where I experience my problems. The lower letoff and "gentler" cams or round wheels when used at a lower draw weight seem to be smoother and cause less problems.

quote:Ok the general consensus is to shoot a lighter bow...So let me ask this question...

Elk at 25 yards!!!!!!!!![:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Try a Bowtech with the smooth mods and see what that is like. I'm not sure I haven't pulled them on ly the speed mods. might work for you.?

Please forgive my lack of bow knowledge but is this just a different shaped cam?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dakotashooter2
    You might want to find a roundwheel bow with 65% letoff (good luck!!!!!). Thought I don't have the same problem as you I find the rollover of the cams is where I experience my problems. The lower letoff and "gentler" cams or round wheels when used at a lower draw weight seem to be smoother and cause less problems.

quote:Ok the general consensus is to shoot a lighter bow...So let me ask this question...

Elk at 25 yards!!!!!!!!![:D]

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]