In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

harnesses

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know a lot of you have either bow hunted from the ground or perminent treestand, but what about anyone else who uses a climber or hang-on? Do you guys use harnesses? I haven't in the past but my treestand came with one and I'm going to start using it. I can see how it might get in the way sometimes but I guess safety comes first.

Comments

• Options
    KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have one for my climbing stand. i havent used the harness yet but its cause i havent quite got it figured out and i have only hunted out of the climber 2x.
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    please figure it out and use it we want to keep our peaple around here for a while
  • Options
    festusfestus Member Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one, never use it. Got a call from a freind about two hours ago, said a buddy of ours fell out of a climbing stand and broke his back. Their at the hospital now, not sure how bad it is going to be. I Have been thinking of using my harness this year every time I climb a tree, may start now.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I use mine all the time in the climber and loc ons. The one that came with my summit you can use it while going up and down the tree also. To many people die every year from fallin out of a stand. I posted a link last week I belive it says "2 more hunters die falling from stand" saying 2 more means that some have already died. that was in Michgan.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also use mine every time up. I use mainly my Summit Goliath for a stand, and the harness supplied with it seems to be the best and easiest to use of all the ones I have. I did take off the supplied link to connect the tree rope to the harness and put in an auto lock I got from a rock climbing shop. Makes connection a lot easier if your hands are cold.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    dcso3009, where can you get the "aoto locks"? I love the easy of use with my Summit harness but the link id a pain especially if you have cold hands.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goldeneagle76
    dcso3009, where can you get the "aoto locks"? I love the easy of use with my Summit harness but the link id a pain especially if you have cold hands.

an outdoors store that has rock climbing equipment. Or search the internet. I know that I have a local small shop around here with climbing equipment, it is strickly a outdoor adventure sport type place.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My God, I just re-read my last post and realized it looked as if it were written by a 1st grader!!! Thanks for pretending to understand it and still replying to it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Golden I type like that from time to time. So you will get not flack from me. Shoff hit the nail on the head. I paid $16 for mine at a climbing wall place. They had a fairly good selection. Just make sure you get on that will keep your butt in the tree if things go wrong. My friend got one ( a cheap one) and after reading, it is only tested for 80 lbs! He is a little bigger than that. He went and bought one like mine now. The one I have is like the one with the green unlock button on this link http://en.petzl.com/petzl/SportProduits?Produit=581&Activite=0 where you have to push the button, rotate the lock and then open the jaw. Sounds hard, but it is not.

Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks again. I saw some on a few websites but was not sure I was looking at the right thing. Now, can you tell me what the "Kn" stands for when they are talking about the strength of the Biner? Most are rated like 25-31Kn.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    kN is a kilonewton. A NEWTON is a unit of force---mass or amount of matter times acceleration or change in speed over time---equal to about .225 of a pound of force. A KILONEWTON would be equal to about
    the weight of a 100 kilogram (225 pound) person. The one I have is rated for 7kN on short axis, 25kN on the long... Gives you some idea how strong these buggers really are.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    kN is a kilonewton. A NEWTON is a unit of force---mass or amount of matter times acceleration or change in speed over time---equal to about .225 of a pound of force. A KILONEWTON would be equal to about
    the weight of a 100 kilogram (225 pound) person. The one I have is rated for 7kN on short axis, 25kN on the long... Gives you some idea how strong these buggers really are.

But if you think about the force involved in a fall, it well exceeds the weight of the person.

You have the force of gravity, which brings you to a falling acceleration of of 32 feet/sec or 9.8 m/s^2. F = ma, take the mass of some one 225 pounds = 100 kilograms so, F = 100 Kg x 9.8 m/s^2 = 980 km/s^2. 1 km/s^2 = 1 N so 980 km/s^2 = 980 Newtons. I think all that math is correct.

So in reality they are only rated for about 2.5 times the weight of a person 225 pounds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Man, that was a flashback to high school physics!!! So, I am 190 lbs...if I fall from the tree, is this thing going to work? That's what I want to know. Or should I just stay with the one that came with the harness?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Golden
    I weigh a lot more than 190 and trust mine with my life. Even with shoff's numbers that would hold 2.5 times your weight in a full speed fall. I would trust his numbers over mine. He seems to have a better handle on it, and it was not so long ago for him.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Golden

Something with a rating like Dcso's would hold you. The thing you need to make sure of is that you get something with higher then a 500 pound rating or 1000 N rating in the short direction. I personally would want something with at least a 2000 pound/5000 Newton rating in the short direction, then I would tie what I want on the clip on the long sides to insure that I would pull in the strongest directions. But you can't pay for your health after the fact.