In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

finally (pics and story added)

bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
Buckey were on the board. More important I finally have my first archery buck of the season. got me a nice little buck out of my little tree line. Happened so fast such an awesome hunt. I had time to see him stand up and turn and he was 5 steps from my tree. I put the heal of my foot on the tree and walked to where I had shot him it was exactly 5 steps. Nothin around me in that stand but fields so there was no trackin went down out in the corn field.
I'll post pics Mon. but I have to tell you they are not good pics. Dad helped me get him out of the field so its in the back of his truck, theres a ton of crap in the truck, , its bloody, I had its leg propped up to help cool down and forgot to let it down for the pic. But I will have them up and hope to get the score done soon.

Comments

• Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Great job bang!

Bloody pics? How will we ever deal with that? [;)] Postem all, I'd like to see kinda stuff a Dodge hauls around anyway. [:D][:D][;)]
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great job! As for teh bloody pics, I could post teh pic of the MASSIVE wound my arrow made on my doe. I kid you not that it was about a 12 to 14 inch *! Not the best hit but it did the job!
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Hay bang thats great. lets see some pix man..... They really screwed up our archery this year muzzleloading ended this sunday. now archery only during the week ... Duhhhh Im at work then shotgun for a week. then another private land week of muzzle. there is no way im going in the woods with a bow during gun season here. Too many goofballs.I wsh it was all archery right now...[;)]
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CONGRATS!!! bang, now lets see some pics. Awfully warm here lately 60+ degrees. How warm down by you?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    CONGRATS!!! bang, now lets see some pics. Awfully warm here lately 60+ degrees. How warm down by you?
    yep it was 62 here yesterday[xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My alarm went off at 4:45am, I laid in bed and wondered if I should even go out cause it was supposed to be so warm. I decided since I was awake I may as well go. Now I went to sit in a little tree line maybe 15yrds wide by 1/8 mile long. 1/2 mile back in a bean field and a 1/2 mile of corn field on the north. I have 16' climing sticks but the stand is at about 14 or so at the platform. At about 6 I put a little buck stop on my shoe hoping the south wind would carry the scent and I also squirted a little on the ground. Got my can out and turned it over about 4 times then sat back and kind of watched the little group of tree to the north. Real small group of trees with some grass around it this is where I have seen deer move before but they all went north of me. As I sat there in the tree just enjoying being there I started watching a male and female cardinal hop around from tree to tree. Then I heard this noise of corn stalks being ruffled so I looked over my shoulder to see this buck running straight towards me. I had just enough time to say out loud "no effen(inserted for another word) way", stand up and turn and he was right on top of me comin into the trees. I tried to draw once, pulled with all I had and couldn't get drawn. I had to calm myself and now I had to wait for the right time as he is lookin around for the doe that has left the scent. He took a step to the left (my right) and got his head behind a 8-10" tree and I * that string back as fast as I could he took 2 more steps, I gave him the mouth bleat, he stopped and I hit the release. He took off out across the corn field and about 25-30yrds his tail came up and I thought no way, I knew I hit him good. I tryed gruntin at him, I've found a lot of times they will stop when they hear that, nothing he went about another 30 and then fell. I was dancin in the stand. First archery deer of the year and the first with my new XT. When I got down I put the heel of my boot against the tree I was in and stepped off how far out he was when I shot. 5 steps, that's it. I shot him at 6:30 am on the nose. He was 154 lbs dressed and without his head.
    I had to call Dad to come help me get him out of the field. I apoligize for the pic. I like to get field shots before the are dressed. I didn't have the camera with me and since we had him in dads truck I just used it to take him to the locker. The truck has a lot of stuff in it cause he was cleaning the shed to put equipment away for winter. The deer is bloody and I had his leg propped up to help cool the meat and forgot to let it down for the pic. again not a great pic and I apologize for that.
    19" inside spread, 9 pt, 9-5/8 G2, 20" mains.

buck06.jpg

DSC00027.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    congrads Buddy glad you got one nice buck... good shooting. sounds like it happened fast. any way awsome Buck..... [;)][;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1

We've been in the 60s all weekend. supposed to be 64 today, and 25 on Fri.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

Same here[xx(]movement has been real early and right at dark
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Congrats. Nice looking buck. Been hotter than all here also.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Nice Buck, Bang! Congrats!!!

Ben
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Yea thursday the bottoms falling out here. Gun season starts friday and that's the start of my week off. I don't gun hunt though.
    I've been waiting for this 12 point 165" or so but no luck so far.[:(]
    Nice buck there bang. I'll guess 133" P&Y gross.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Yea thursday the bottoms falling out here. Gun season starts friday and that's the start of my week off. I don't gun hunt though.
    I've been waiting for this 12 point 165" or so but no luck so far.[:(]
    Nice buck there bang. I'll guess 133" P&Y gross.

113 if I did it right. I thought it was bigger too but thats what the computer calculated. It really doesn't matter to me what he scores, I'm happy to have had the opportunity to take him. It was an incredible hunt, it all happened so fast, he was so close and came in from down wind. Just to cool! I'm still ridin' the wave!!
  • Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    Nice buck! Congrats.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WTG Nice buck.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations on a fine looking whitetail. Good job.[8D]
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very Nice Buck Bang WTG!

Just gota love them SWITCHBACKS.[:D]
  • Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    See Bang...gettin' off the couch/outta' the bed does kill more deer, eh? [;)]
    Did you age him? His broad nose and short snout would indicate an older buck. He's a wonderful example of one of our mature, midwestern P&Y-class whitetails.
    Congrats and kudos for the hunting strategy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lmbhngr
    See Bang...gettin' off the couch/outta' the bed does kill more deer, eh? [;)]
    Did you age him? His broad nose and short snout would indicate an older buck. He's a wonderful example of one of our mature, midwestern P&Y-class whitetails.
    Congrats and kudos for the hunting strategy.

I guessed him at 4 or better. I got this little tooth chart of the net yesterday and if I read it right it shows him at 4-1/2. My brother in law told me a few years ago to get out of the big woods during the rut. Hunt tree lines, fence rows, feild edges of the woods, funnels, I have to say he was right. He, in fact, is currently standing in a shallow river in his waders up against a tree that has fallen in. Said he found a hard trail right along the creek edge that the deer are using. The guy that lives by that tree line I got this buck out of said there is another big boy out there, He just saw him again on Sun. morning. He'll be safe til next season, I'm tagged out as far as bucks go.
    Thanks everyone, this is a hunt I will remember for a long time. From the time I saw him coming in to the time I hit the release I bet wasn't 30 sec. I'm talkin' it happened so fast and he was so close. It was just great!
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Great story bang!
    Fast is better than one that drags out an hour working around your stand wouldn't you agree? [:D]