In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

"The block" and "the black hole"-which one.

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
Have to buy and archery target, and am debating on the block or the black hole. I have experience with the block, but not the blackhole. Seems the blackhole is not as deep,but are they deep enough-black holes seem to be a lot cheaper.Any opinions?

"It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once"
-David Hume

Comments

• woodyd70woodyd70 Member Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo, I think you'd be really happy with either. I am the southeast manufacturer's rep for both targets you've inquired about. I think your biggest issue is "what size target do you want, and will it be in one place, or will you be moving it around a lot. The black hole would be my suggestion for you if you'll be moving it around a lot, as it is not as deep or heavy as the block. However, the block does offer portables in the smaller targets. Here's a rundown of the block and black hole targets that will give you the size, weight, and retail pricing. My suggestion would be to buy the target that offers the size you're looking for, as I really feel you'll be just as happy with either the block or the black hole.

The Block: Portable - 18x18x14 18 lbs. $69.99
    Hunter - 18x18x18 21 lbs. $84.99
    Pro - 21x21x18 30 lbs. $109.99
    Outfitter- 24x24x18 36 lbs. $159.99
    Range - 48x28x18 75 lbs. $299.99
    4x4 Range- 48x48x18 140 lbs. $549.99

The Black Hole: Small - 22x16x11 15 lbs. $54.99
    Large - 28x20x11 20 lbs. $79.99

I hope this helps, and best of luck choosing the target for your needs.

woodyd

Also, if you're looking for a great 3d target, the Gledel's 3D block target retails for $199.99 and you can purchase replacement vitals for it when the need arises.
  • toocarztoocarz Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Block Hunter and a bag target (A Redhead). When I shoot field tips I prefer the bag only because the arrows pull out much easier than the block (two fingers vs. grabbing the shaft with one hand and holding the Block with the other and pulling it out. I use the block when shooting broadheads. They cut the foam up quite a bit, but what would one expect?

The moral of my banter? Use a bag target for field tips and the block when you put your broadheads on. I have no experience with the black hole, but since you will most likely shoot broadheads into it, make sure that the foam layers are at least as compressed as the Block's as it will last longer when the broadheads slice it up.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I gave up checking for a response being that the archery forum seems to be the "black hole" of the GB. Glad I checked in.

"It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once"
    -David Hume
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    what ever happened to hay bales?
  • jdpowerstrokejdpowerstroke Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a target that is a Block type factory blem off of ebay last year and really like it. I think it is actually called The Cube. I have seen them advertised in Bowhunter magazine. You may check that route out. I am thinking I bought it for around 40 bucks. Good Luck!

John