In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Affordable longbows..??

cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
Im new to the world of archery and want to learn to use a longbow, for enjoyment and possibly hunting down the rode. Can anyone make a suggestion for a affordable longbow maker?? also can anyone give me a good resource or reading material to learn how to shoot one?? thanks

Comments

• Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go here: http://www.taylorbows.com/order_page.htm
    I have one of his bows. Cost me about $180 Cdn. Mine is only 40 lbs. but I don't hunt with it. I can shoot it mostly all day witout hurting myself. (Check your State laws about minimum poundage allowed for bow hunting. It's 45 lbs up here.) Can't shoot it worth beans either(operator failure), but with any bow, you push the bow at the same time as you pull the string. You use your back and shoulder muscles. Not your arms. That's how all those little English archers pulled those 120-180lb long bows in the 14th century. Mind you, they did practice a bit.
    I'd suggest you join an archery club. You'll be able to get some help from other members. Oh and don't try to shoot all day the first day. Unless you drive a semi and have strong back and shoulder muscles.
  • Options
    blackwidowblackwidow Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the world of traditonal archery. A excellant peroidical is Traditonal Bowhunter, You can find it at book stores that sell magizines. It comes out every 2 months or you can reach them on line at Tradbow.com to get subscription. awesom perodical with tips on shooting techniques,equipment,hunting and great stories.A great book is Become The Arrow by Byron Feugrson.I am a traditonal hunter only, I gave up compounds about 2yrs ago and never looked back. I started shooting when I was 6yrs old and 32yrs later I came back to shooting a stick and string, it is the most unincumberd thrill of non gadgitery i.e. sights,rest,accessories and advertising B.S. simplicity is the essence of man so keep it simple go traditonal.Hope you get a longbow and practice practice and some more practice. I shoot at least 100 arrows a week. and hunt twice a week. repition is the key factor muscle toneing,hand eye coordnation and seeing where you want your arrow to hit. Good Luck hope to hear back from you soon Rik.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    check out Dave Harper free sprit longbows he builds the WIND WALKER these are great bows he is in Phoenix AZ
    LT shootlow RRG
  • Options
    6MMX2846MMX284 Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO SUCH THING! Archery is expensive, no matter what the bow, so prepare to let some cash go...happy hunting/shooting

In God We Trust...All Others Cash!
  • Options
    blackwidowblackwidow Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right on 6mmx284, it depends on if you want quality to last a lifetime or some P.O.S. that might last one pratice session. Keep those broadheads sharp.
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    blackwidow and 6MMX284, archery doesn't have to be expensive. You guys are confusing hunting and shooting. Two different things. Hunting bows, yeah, I find them expensive but you don't have to spend $500+ on a longbow to have a good one. You can spend that kind of money on a longbow but you don't have to.
  • Options
    RhondaRhonda Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out Eders at www.eders.com. Has some good long bows at reasonable prices.