In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Looking to buy a crossbow need help

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
Due to pending legislation, I am considering buying a crossbow. Where I live, you have to be 150 yards from another residence(unless you have permission)to hunt deer during rifle season. THey are considering allowing the requirement to be reduced to 50 yards, if one uses a crossbow during gun season. If the law changes, I am getting a crossbow. I shoot a compound bow, and have no idea what to look for in a crossbow.
I want to spend as little as possible, for something that would be adequate to kill a deer with. Any suggestions and opinions would be appreciated.
Also, I am left handed-I do not know if that matters with a crossbow. Does it matter?

"It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once"
-David Hume

Comments

• longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    Never thought of crossbow shooting on the left....anyhow as far as bows are concerned.New bows were best priced at Wally world last I looked.
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a crossbow permit in my state (Missouri), and I looked at the options when I bought mine 7 years ago and in my opinion there's only one option which ain't cheap in the short run: Horton. Mine is accurate and effective, I killed 6 deer with it. Don't let some one tell they are good at long distance, because they ain't. My farthest kill was 22yds, realistically 40yds would be max. and that would require alot of practice and range estimation would have to be on the money. It's good for right or left hander's, you know ambidex...
    I also gun hunt, but due to health I use a crossbow instead of a compound and therefore have a method exemption. Basspro usually has about the lowest price on these, but Cabelas offers some too. Mine is a Hunter camotree xl. Just the bow will run $300-600 depending on the model. Look at them in person the Barnetts don't compare and the ones that do are even higher than Horton's I hope this helps!
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    I believe the Horton to is very good.Even their low end price models of $250 to $300.Left or right hand.

Good accuracy and penetration to about 30 yds on Deer.After that distance I don,t think they have the penetration to kill Deer very effectivly,because of the shorter and lighter weight shaft.

I occasionally hear stories of someones friend that shoots 2 inch groups at 50 and even 75 yds. I have never been invited to see this done even though I asked to see what they are doing to acheive this.

I am confused at times.

We park on driveways,

and drive on parkways.
  • predator_hunterpredator_hunter Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi i got Horton Legends II package off of ebay a lot cheaper than i could get it at Walmart and the crossbow was New and the box had never been open i had a PSE StarFire II crossbow But i wanted to get one at would shoot 300 fps with that PSE crossbow i killed 11 deer and 9 turkeys over the yrs i would look on Ebay for one good luck PH
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    110% go with either PSE archery...or the other one would be horton!!!!
  • b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Killed a Big Fat Doe christmas eve with my horton!
    Arrow went thru the deer and stuck in a tree. deer was 40 yrds away!
    used horton lighting strike arrow with 125 grain 3 bladed tip. Doe went 20 ft and dropped, she dressed out at 130lbs. Horton Bows work !
    Got mine at Wal-mart 169.00, blades were 14.99, almost traded it for a H&R handy rifle , glad now I didn't.

Its really hard to soar with the Eagles, when you are stuck with turkeys!