In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Open on Impact.............

s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
Anyone have experience shooting Deer with those open on impact type arrow heads.Do you think they are more effective.

I have been told they are more accurate because they are more like a field point when released.

I am confused at times.

We park on driveways,

and drive on parkways.

Comments

• Options
    excaliburexcalibur Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a little note from experience. The mechanical broadheads work but are not bone crusher like the 2blade broadhead. It takes more kenetic energy for the mechanical broadhead to penatrate animal hide and flesh. the mechanical BH is easy to tune in but if your bow is in tune your 2 blade BH will work fine.. Hope that helps.. if Not I will look up some more info on the mechanical BH,,

Happy hunting...

Excalibur
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Dont know if they work but if they do Ill be the first to tell ya

I yearn for the simpiler times when a man could crawl out of his cave , club a woman over the head and drag her back "
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother shot a deer 2 years ago and swore his mechanical didn't open. Another point is some hunting clubs will not allow you to use them on your very expensive trips. I had a friend that went on a trip for elk and was told by the outfitter he would have to get different broadheads. Taco
  • Options
    predator_hunterpredator_hunter Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have killed 11 deer and 9 turkeys with them and i think they work VM
  • Options
    marinerahmarinerah Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No problems here with them. Working fine, just keep good maintenance with them.

"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered, we lucky few, we band of brothers, for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." Henry V
  • Options
    woodyd70woodyd70 Member Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a lot of discussion on both sides of this issue, but let's break it down to the simple. Why would you want to have to rely on a broadhead to open on impact, when you can buy one that already is open on impact. Many states have outlawed the mechanicals due to it's supposed "non performance" and I'm not stating that I think it performs or not, just stating the obvious. Do we respect the game we hunt enough to tune our bow to shoot a lethal broadhead, or are we taking shortcuts in trying to make our hunting tips fly just like field points, just a question. I for one shoot the Muzzy broadhead in a 100 grain 3 blade with the trocar tip and it shoots almost identical to my field points, and passes thru game like butter.........just a suggestion.

woodyd
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    I use New Archery Products' Spitfire 125's. They work great. No tuning adjustments from field points. Always open and cut nicely. My brother switched to them after he saw how well they worked. He was having severe planing problems when switching from field points to broadheads. The new spitfire's totally cured this and he took a buck with them the first time out with them.
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1

Many states have outlawed the mechanicals due to it's supposed "non performance"

I did not know that.How many states have outlawed them?
  • Options
    predator_hunterpredator_hunter Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shooting the Rocket broadhead the Mini Blaster 3L and they do a great job PH
  • Options
    Stormtrooper 13Stormtrooper 13 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I,ve used both types, and never saw much advantage to one or the other. They both perform good. The only problem I,ve had is a fixed blade plaining in high wind (that,s why they call it windage), and a mech broadhead fitted to a carbon arrow breaking before passing through (2times). A buddy of mine that had the last 2 deer he shot (with carbon & mech's) break the shaft, before exiting. He switched back to aluminum, and got a 9 point last night with a quartering away shot with a pass through. I,ve personally shot 3 deer with a carbon & mech setup, and 2 out of 3 broke before passing through (and no I didn,t make a bad shot hitting a major bone). This year I also switched back to aluminum arrows. That,s the only downside I,ve seen to mechanical broadheads. On anything bigger than a whitetail I,d use a fixed blade, because I think they do have more bone crushing capabilities.

qman_lr_105t.jpg

Only the strong shall survive !!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    they work on coyotes just ask the one i shot in the butt last night

"Every time I hear the words animal and rights in the same sentence, I'm going out and killing 20 of something" - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    GUNMAN4FUNGUNMAN4FUN Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot 100 grain Muzzy's before I started using Vortex 100 grain open on impact broadheads. The main thing that I can tell you is that I will never go back to a fixed broadhead again. I have used the Vortex on aluminum shafts and carbon which I currently use and I love them. I get complete pass through shots and I have re-used the same carbon shaft and broadhead to kill three deer. They seem to hold there edge and they fly exactly like my field points. I have only shot whitetail deer and fox with them. They work! Two of the last three deer I shot with them only ran 40 yards before they dropped for good.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    i have been shooting VORTEC since the were developed they shoot the same point of impact as a the field point i have taken deer and exotic critters and all have been pass throughs they work get a pack and try you wont be sorry

Lt.RRG

c.gif
    "Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Im now sold on mechanicals call up rocket and order me some new ones cuz i got one left. I gut shot a doe last night and she ran 70 yards and expired. while dressing her she looked like a bomb went off inside her. good work to the rocket jackhammer

"Every time I hear the words animal and rights in the same sentence, I'm going out and killing 20 of something" - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    NmayvilleNmayville Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used them for a year and didnt like them much.
    )They dont open sometimes.
    )If you shoot them you cant take out a damaged blade because the screws holding them in strip very easily.
    )They slow down arrow speed
    )some of them mess-up the insert on your arrow so it is hard to take tips out and put them in
    )Most are very expensive
    )Some have blades that are not very strong
    )MUZZY broadheads are a lot better

Bye
  • Options
    sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine used to own an archery store, and he swore by Vortex broadheads. Out of all the different broadheads he had available, those are the ones he used to take his deer with. Me, I use Crackhead non-mechanical broadheads, but if I were to go with an "open on impact", the Vortex would be my first choice.
  • Options
    uplandlabsuplandlabs Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot 4 deer and one ram with mechinacals (spitfire 100gr) and never had a problem with them. One deer was taken in late December aprox. 20 degrees Farenheit. It has saved me a lot of time from retuning my bow to adjusting sights and worrying about the right amount(length) of fletching. I only use my broadheads once and never use them on game again. I will never go back to a fixed blade unless I take up traditional archery.
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah well i just gotta doe back in archery season (OHIO) and i really have never used the mechanicals but the broad head i used dropped her in about 35 seconds...gotta love those main arteries i wouldn't use a different broadhead since!
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot 3 deer with the rocket sidewinders I love them they fly great the longest a deer ran after getting stuck with one of them was 30 yards.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am kinda partial to rocket sidewinders I have yet to have a deer run more than 30 yards after getting stuck with one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am kinda partial to rocket sidewinders I have yet to have a deer run more than 30 yards after getting stuck with one.
  • Options
    Freedom CasullFreedom Casull Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wont shoot anyhthing except NAP Spitfires. They do a great job, really make them bleed.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I've shot both and have had success with both. Last year I shot split fire 100 grain mechanicals and one very cold morning it didn't seem to be as free moving as normal. Maybe moisture froze in the seat, I'm not sure. Rather risk a blade not opening I went back to a 3 blade fixed. Opinion wise I'm equal with either.

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    archeryatticarcheryattic Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    These same or similar arguments were raised when replaceable blade broadheads like the Muzzy came out. Lack strength, don't penetrate as well, and so on. Took a while to convince archers to try them instead of relying on what was considered the conventional wisdom. Give them a try. Millions have. I don't know which are better but I do know that use of mechanical broadheads is growing. Somebody likes them.

Keep the wind in your face, the sun at your back, and God in your heart.