In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Viability of particle weapons in the 21st century

Ruger22Ruger22 Member Posts: 385
The other day while watching Star Trek Enterprise I started thinking about all of the hype in the 50's and 60's that basically stated that projectile weapons would be obscolete in the 21st century.
So here we are in the 21st century. Iraqi insurgents are using AK47s. US Soldiers are using Berettas, and American hunters are using Rugers and Remingtons. We are still using combustion engines and women and whiskey are still en vogue!
While on tv, Starfleet vessells pummel enemy warships and aliens with phased cannon and particle weapons. So, here is the question for the experts on this forum. Were Regan's super particle weapon platforms (aka Star Wars) viable or too costly?. Will US Marines in 2034 be firing phased microwave and laser particles at North Korean insurgents during the drive past the 39th parallel?. Are projectile weapons heading for the scrapyard in the next 30 years, or am I watching too much Star Trek?

Brian Ostro
member: NRA, John Birch Society, American Numismatic Association.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post over here, these folks have the skinny on all that kind of stuff.

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/82402

luger_4.jpg
  • Ruger22Ruger22 Member Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the link to the scifi site, but my question is directed at experts who are visionaries and can see beyond the horizon vis a vis. the future of projectile weapons in context with scientific progress and the possibility of particle weapons becoming the dominant choice for firearms in the next 50 years. This is a serious issue, and while the scifi link is appreciated, I am seeking the response of serious firearms visionaries.

Brian Ostro
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well first you have to answer- and i am a star trek fan myself- just what is a particle weapon? There is contradictory info here; sometimes it is stated to be an energy weapon as well. So either it is pure energy- like a lasesr beam- or it consists of highly charged, focused particles. Given that you can SEE the phaser beam (think on your laser pointer)and that it appears to have light/dark areas within the stream, I would agree, there must be some sort of particle discharge. But then again, light, including lasers, or more specifically the photon, has a dual wave/particle nature that hasn't yet been resolved. Perhaps it WILL be and will be found to be more particle after all and this is what they are talking about.....

So far as photon torpedoes, they would depend on learning to refine and contain antimatter which while theoretically possible, I think is a LONG time in coming if ever.

SOOOO.... I honestly don't think we will be seeing particle weapons, ie charged plasma/energy streams anytime soon. I CAN envision the use of high power spaceborn or vehicle born lasers replacing AP artillery though.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Ruger22Ruger22 Member Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    jonk:
    Your well thoughout statement makes sense to me. I especially agree with the artillery part.

Brian Ostro
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Back in '83, my crews and I were tasked with staking (for construction) a Ground-Based Free Electron Laser testing facility on White Sands Missile Range. I've driven past the site many times since, and I can assure you that IF a small enough power source were available; these things will become man-portable.
    It packs enough punch to burn a 8" diameter hole in the side of an Abrams in just over 1/2 a second. Trouble is; it uses over 2 megawatts to do this.
    I think it will be better if they come up with something that melts/deflects/vaporizes inbound ordnance.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.<br>WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    sounds cool....let me know when there's a season.
    Ben[;)]
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2001/010302-npr.htm

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/abl/

http://www.metalstorm.com

The North Koreans have already used low powered lasers to hit our folks and aircraft over the DMZ into South Korea. Seems our helicopters have sensors that detect when they are locked onto by laser guided missiles and those North Koreans light them up just to freak out the pilots.

The problem with the Air Force's Airborne Laser is they are working on a firing system that will not allow a shot if it is in the path to one of our satellites. It would be bad if they were aiming at a incoming missile and shot straight thru it taking out our own satellites or space shuttle.

If I was a Air Force General I'd have a satelite with the Air Borne Laser and vaporize Bin Laden when he went out to take a leak in the Afghan mountaints....we are close to Star Trek...just need to get our Government to quit wasting money. Heck one satellite with a nuclear reactor and laser could replace all of our jet fighters, bombers, air refueling aircraft and leave one man sitting at a computer to fight every country on the planet. Talking about freaking someone out, imagine walking down the street with someone and having them vaporize leaving only a smoking spot on the sidewalk.

kabalogoshadowed.gif