In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Self climber

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
Thinking about getting a new self climbing tree stand this year, any opinions on what to get? I'm not sure brand I have now, but I think it was like $150 or so, plus my buddy made me one that I use (very cautiously [;)])

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Comments

• Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am too creaky to be hitching myself up a tree, but I looked at the "Tree Lounger" brand the other day. Nice looking set up!
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Dicks sporting goods has alot of tree stands on sale right after christmas, 200 stands on sale for 100 bucks. I picked up a bunch of chain on stands for 25 each last year

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I was in Dick's Sunday evening and never even looked (the large crowd had me flustered and mad). Guess I'll be heading back there [:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    odds are the stands are gone i havnt seen them at mine for a while now but its worth a look

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Hey, I can help you with this, but you need to answer a few questions. Are you going to be hunting with a long gun or a bow? How big are you? How far are your walks to your trees, is weight carrying an issue? How's your back, are you able to sit for long periods of time, or is extra back-support a necessity?? Are you pretty nimble in a tree or do you need a larger platform to feel safe?
    Ben
    edited November -1
    Wow, sounds like you might sell tree stands fishermanben!
    Here goes.
    I'll be hunting with a compound bow.
    I weigh 200 pounds and usually have 5 to 10 pounds in my pack with me plus my bow.
    The distance to my Stand would be 1.5 miles, weight is somewhat an issue since I always walk.
    Back is fine, I can sit all day without a problem.
    I'm fine in trees, but I tend to fall asleep [8D] so I prefer larger platforms.
    Jay

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    Wow, sounds like you might sell tree stands fishermanben!
    Here goes.
    I'll be hunting with a compound bow.
    I weigh 200 pounds and usually have 5 to 10 pounds in my pack with me plus my bow.
    The distance to my Stand would be 1.5 miles, weight is somewhat an issue since I always walk.
    Back is fine, I can sit all day without a problem.
    I'm fine in trees, but I tend to fall asleep [8D] so I prefer larger platforms.
    Jay

API Grandslam would be a good choice. They are kind of bulky, but they allow more hip room for larger hunters, yet remain light-weight.

Stay away from the Old Man, They're excellent stands, but you would have to always set up in the largest possible tree to have good hip room. I have a 32in waist and it gets very tight when I am in winter clothes.

You would be more comfortable in a Tree Lounge; however, I personally wouldn't want to carry one more than a half mile as they are very very heavy and noisy to carry. Also, you will find yourself sleeping alot more in the Lounge, because it is virtually impossible to fall out of one. I quit bowhunting in mine the same year that I bought it, because I thought it was difficult to stand-up quietly with little motion. If you do want one let me know, I would part with mine.

The Viper Predator (I believe that's the name) would be a good choice also. It is kind of neat because it is "pin less". It also is the most stable climber that I have used(there is no rock and creek). The only thing that I can fault it for is that it really seems to damage the tree with its teeth.

Hope this helps.
    Ben
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walmart has a few climbers by Hunters View for around 100 bucks that are 300 lb weight capacity. I got one 2 years ago and love it.

Only the strong survive!!!!!
    edited November -1
    I checked at Walmart, they only carry tree stands during deer season. And they never know who has the key to the gun display either[:D]

edited November -1
    fishermanben Thank you very much. I'm gonna look at all your suggestions on the net this weekend.

you have mail to..