In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
I'm mainly starting this because bow hunting forums are way to low. So lets kick it up a notch..

how about this to keep the topic rolling.....my nephew is turning 18 soon and has lost some of his interest in archery and hunting in general. I did get him out a few times this past season, but not enough. I've talked to him about this coming season and his normal response is "if I have time". So how do you keep them interested ????

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Comments

• Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi, well you can't really.(unless you want to go against their will)
    I mean if the kid doesn't wanna hunt anymore I can understand. There was a time when i didn't feal like hunting when i was younger, but i grew out of it. Soon he will realize what he really wants to do!
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Put him on deer. Afternoon hunts instead of mornings. Make sure he has the appropriate clothing. Ask him when he can go.

Just some ideas. Between school, sports, friends and girls it can be hard for a man his age to find time for the essentials.

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A.Gun I wouldn't mind if he didn't want to hunt so he could do other productive things, but I'm worried because he wants to sit and play video games or what rap music videos on TV. I'm scared he'll end up getting into trouble or something.

fishermanben, do you fish? just kidding [;)] Been there and done that. All he bow hunts is deer, we're in Ohio. I've tried evenings, gave him my old and bought him new clothes, asked him when and where he wants to go. I did talk to him the other weekend about going turkey hunting with me and he thought that may be neat to try so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

thanks!

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    show him lots of deer moving through one place and he will be hooked

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is one problem I run into with him. I'll be 75 or 100 yards away from him, see 2 or 3 small bucks and a dozen does and he sees nothing. I've tried hunting with him and he moves way to much plus he is noisey going in and out of his stand. I've tried to tell him he'll see more deer, but he's a teenager and you know how that is.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he's that noisey try huntin from a ground blind. My dad has moved to one due to hip replacement and he's killed alot of deer like this. Even takin a 12 yr old nephew of mine and he killed a deer.

Only the strong survive!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Guess I could throw up a blind for him, never thought about that. Thanks taco

• Options
    Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second the ground blind idea. I have 3 set up on my property and that is all I use. Getting too old and creaky to climb trees anymore! I took my 12 year-old nephew out this last fall. Typical wiggly kid. He killed two nice fat does. And he didn't see them either. Had to point both of them out to him. Takes practice to see them suckers! Can't remember the brand, but mine are called "Dog-House" blinds. Nice and roomy for two people! Do a search and I am sure you can find the brand. Usually run about a $100, but I saw them on sale last week for $69 at the local gun shop.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Winchester-mutt! I'll keep an eye out for those.

• Options
    edited November -1
    I always hunt from the ground unless I'm Bow hunting. It's a lot more comfortable. Instead of using a purchased blind, I just use a couple of tree branches and a pile of leaves. Forrest dirt is the best cover-scent anyway. Take a couple of handfuls and rub it on your clothes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    I always hunt from the ground unless I'm Bow hunting. It's a lot more comfortable. Instead of using a purchased blind, I just use a couple of tree branches and a pile of leaves. Forrest dirt is the best cover-scent anyway. Take a couple of handfuls and rub it on your clothes.
    You ain't dealing with a rooky here fishermanben. [;)] I once laid in a briar bush from 5:30AM until 2:15PM when a 8 pointer came by on his rub line. I'd watched him from my stand for a week never getting close enough, but he always went by the briar bush. It really sucked though because it was early bow season and I had ants all over me from laying there.....He ended up being 14 or 15 inches inside and I put him on the wall since I went through all that trouble. [:)]
    Thanks!

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote: You ain't dealing with a rooky here fishermanben. [;)] I once laid in a briar bush from 5:30AM until 2:15PM when a 8 pointer came by on his rub line. I'd watched him from my stand for a week never getting close enough, but he always went by the briar bush. It really sucked though because it was early bow season and I had ants all over me from laying there.....He ended up being 14 or 15 inches inside and I put him on the wall since I went through all that trouble. [:)]
    Thanks!

Nice One!!! I've never shot one from the ground before with my bow, although I've tried. You earned that Buck. Would you do it again??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Would you do it again??

It would have to be bigger if I did it again, but yes. My fiancee gets PO'd with my hunting extremes a lot. This past Christmas I hunted in the morning before we went to her parents house at 10am. I seen a decent buck the night before from my stand so I HAD to go back...[:)] She was mainly mad because I was gone when she woke up..Oh well she knew I hunted before she moved in .

• Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you taken him to archery shoots? Maybe he would like to compete.

Thanks, Grizztribefans@sssnet.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He gets bored with shooting after a while so I doubt he'd compete. I wouldn't mind going to a shoot to watch though, I only know of certain clubs that have them and I don't think they are open to everyone.
    Are there regular shoots you know of?

• Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lost Arrow Archery club just started the season Sunday. Crystal Springs starts this coming Sunday. I'm not sure about Milport Bowhunters. Lost Arrow has alot of tree stands. If you need any info, drop me a line, I'll be glad to help. I don't think that most of the clubs around here give ribbons anymore, but some like Crystal give door prizes, and most have lucky shoots and 50/50 drawings. I think there is a club down buy Wilmot too. I'm pretty sure that the bulletin board at Ohio Outdoor Sports posts info on the local shoots.

Thanks, Grizztribefans@sssnet.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Grizz! I'll check the board at Ohio Outdoor sports and look up those names. Ohio Outdoors is a normal stop for me at lunch time, I can't beleive I never read those. Guess I'm always to pumped up over their new guns and bows. [;)]