In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

throw stick

bluegoose11bluegoose11 Member Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭
I went to a BP convention and this guy was selling throw sticks like the aborigine in australia he said with practice you can throw the long arrow 30 yd. with accuracy and 90 yda for distance anyone know anything about them He wanted 30. for the setup

Comments

• Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I have no information for you bluegoose11, but it sure would be neat to see you sitting in a tree stand with a 5 foot pole reared back at a deer. [;)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    ncwhitencwhite Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    do you mean an atl-atl? the stick you throw with a stick? if so, it is a bunch of fun. my brothers got together and bought one for our dad this past christmas, really nice, handmade, intricate carvings. we went in the yard to use it right away, and within a few minutes we were throwing it with deadly accuracy up to thirty yards. with some real practice you could easily chuck it over a hundred yards. i will post the website where they purchased it when my brother responds to my email.
  • Options
    dpluedplue Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the throw stick is older than aborigines. it's a prehistoric weapon. $30 is a reasonable price for a stick and an arrow. i have a friend here who make them with four foot long arrows. were the arrows you seen that long? i think the accuracy estimate is a little long, but like with anything else with enough practice anything is possible. there is another name for the throwstick i'll find out what it is and post another message. dan

If you have to many guns send them to me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I thought they were neat the arrows were about 4ft. long then the point had a piece about 1.5 ft that sliped over the longer shaft they had them with practice points and broad heads I don't know about me being in a tree but Suspension if you would try it and get it on camcorder I'll tell your friends how neat you look flying through the air so gracefully
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If they are that accurate I'll try it [:)] does anyone have a link for these things? I had a picture in my mind but maybe I'm thinking of something else.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Suspenion I have no idea if they are accurate or not they had them here at the bp show and the guy selling them told me about the accuracy the stick you hold in your hand was about 1.5 to 2 ft. long the arrow lays on the stick with a notch in the end of the stick and you just swing the stick overhand and the arrow will fly from the momentum hope you didn;t think I was trying to be a smart *** was just joking with you
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, I know what your taking about now. I think I saw them in Quigley down under with Tom Sellic.
    I knew you were joking, hell you can say anything you want I rarely get bothered by words. It's all good with me.

I originally thought it sounded like a spear type thing you held in your hand and threw, that's why I thought it would be neat to see you in a tree stand hunting deer with one. Then you decided I should try it and I couldn't back down from a challenge. [:D]

take care

• Options
    dpluedplue Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i found the web page about the atlatl that rules. www.worldatlatl.org
    this page will help you with all your questions. instructions to tournaments to world records (800+ feet). i also recomend the book "the atlatl - primitive weapon of the stone age" by kris tuomala

If you have to many guns send them to me.