In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

whistle to keep cougars away?

beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
OK, I don't hunt but I support hunter's rights. I do hike and carry a 357 magnum. Assuming there are or may be cougars or mountain lions
where I hike, I never want to see one nor shoot one. Qustion? Will a loud whistle like a boatswain or a British bobbie whistle blown once in a while as I hike likely scare away cougars or mountain lions or have no effect at all?? Don't they attack from the rear most times? Thanks for any help.

Bruce

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    beantole, I looked around the net and didn;t find much pertaining to your specific question. Opinion wise I wouldn't recommend it just because so many wild animals are extremely curious. Thus a nice loud whistle may attract them out of curiousity.
    I sure ain;t no wildlife biologists so keep in my mind this is only an opinion.

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A whistle is a BAD idea, these are very dangerious critters and a whistle may sound like a small animal (food). Stick with making noise and conversation when your in the woods. If you see one eye balling you check your back stop then SHOOT when you safly can. DONT LET ONE GET CLOSE TO YOU once it jumps on you its too late
    it goes right for the neck and can sever your jugular in a micro second.

use_deer.jpg
  • SlowpitchSlowpitch Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in southern Tier Ny , The DEC say they didnt relocate any cougars in our area but !!! My nephew was hiking one early morning on a ridge out of the blue he heard this loud cat like screachhh sound to his right, Low & behold there stood a small mountain lion 10 feet away, He slow walked & kept his eyes on him, Turned away for a sec looked back & he was gone, He stood there, looked around & cougar was gone......I think they both spooked one another that morning so ...My point is back a pistal,club etc etc Geez take a tank with you, But dont panic & shoot first & ask questiona later,its a wild animal & !!!!! were on there turf Not vice versa.....Just my opinion, be safe pack a gun , But never panic, theres always something wild out there in the woods with you no matter where you go !!!
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Suspension. Keep the whistle at home please!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!