In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need help finding a ladder stand

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
I really have a problem using stands. I am not comfortable, and I think what really bothers me is the platform size on stands, specifically ladder stands. I do not feel safe in hang ons, or climbers, so a ladder stand(or a homemade stand) is the way I have to go. I have been looking for ladder stands, but the ones I have seen have small platforms. I even checked out two man stands. It seems with two man stands, you get a lot of room length wise, but the width is very narrow.
Are there any stands out the that have a platform size that is AT LEAST 30x30?- Bigger would be even better. Thanks for any help.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
-Jimmy the cheese man

Comments

• Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try this place they might have what ya want, expensive but are well made. www.deerstandsusa.com

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I have a ladder stand from The sportsman guide, but it is no where close to being 30" x 30" platform size.
    I will ask my buddy this weekend what kind he has. He bought one so him and his son could sit together and it looks huge up in the tree. I will ask him the model and where he got it, not sure if he'll know the exact size though.
    Have you thought about how you'll put one of these up? Sounds like it could be kinda tuff to install if it's not made of aluminum.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    taco413- Thanks for the link. They have a ladder stand that has a 3'x3' platform-that is heaven. The only problem is the guard rails come up waste high, all around, I am a little concernedabout how that will be wityh a bow.
    Suspension-I realize it is going to be quite an ordeal-but at least Ill be able to hunt on a stand. I have bought many ladder stands, and they wind up not being used because I cant stand up in them-I feel like I am going to fall off the platform. I used to stay seated to shoot, but I have missed a few deer because I could not get a good shot in a seated position. At this point, I dont even care about he cost, or how difficult it will be to lug around. I just want something that I feel comfortable in.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I e-mailed my buddy about his, but he hasn't responded yet, I'll check again.

ladder stands that end up not being used? Sounds like a deal to me[;)] How much and what do ya got for sale?
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder if you can modify one of those stands and move the front brace down like a foot or so. That could be the answer to your problem right there.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • Options
    dennisjohnsondennisjohnson Member Posts: 471 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hi all! never posted here before..just have an idea for you stand solution though.....depending on where you are from...here a guy can pick up old windmill towers cheap...(most just haul them away).. i manage 2000 acers of hunting land up here and have been statigicly placing them around for whitetails. these towers...depending on height...can have huge platforms ...i make mine out of reinfofced 3/4 inch plywood. they are very safe when i put the 4 legs in a 2 foot hole filled with quickcrete.they are also eays to climb. this year we are going to build a couple with walls and roof on the platform...for comfort for our older hunters. one last plus....the deer walk right by they..it's something they are used to here. If nned be i could scrouge up a couple more.......

dennis
  • Options
    edited November -1
    welcome aboard dennisjohnson.

salzo, no help from my buddy. He has a two man stand from River's Edge, but he said the platform may be 30" long, but only half that wide. He couldn't remember the name of it.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Salzo, while a larger platform will help, you might also want to check out a good hunting harness. It should improve your confidence, and help you shoot better out of position.

Ben

www.RightFieldSucks.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have decided I am going to make my own tree stands.
    Some of the stands I saw looked good, but there was always something I didnt like about it.

-Jimmy the cheese man