In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Do you have problems with guided poachers?

fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
In my area we have an SOB that gives guided hunts to many out-of-state hunters. The only problem is he does not own much ground. So, he drives around at night looking for Bucks. If he finds one, he'll get out and his partner in crime will keep going. He trespasses on private property, throws a cheap hang-on in a tree, and then calls his buddy to come pick him up. Here's where it gets wierd. He gives his customers the option of trespassing with a promise of a full refund if they get charged with a crime. We had a Father/Son team busted on our property for trespassing, hunting after-hours, and the father had no permit. The Conservation Cop offered to drop all charges if he would just turn this SOB in. He wouldn't do it. I have had a treestand stolen on this property, and I have found dead deer just missing antlers(few things piss me off more). Do any of you guys have any creative methods for dealing with trespassers/poachers. Ours don't park cars, and are very crafty about sneaking in and out.

Ben

Comments

• taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big ole trap under tree, *SMACK* honest I never new there was a stand in that tree[:D] This is a great coyote run though[8D] Or since the DNR guys know about it maybe they could patrol it a little better. Another thought would be getting a game cam hidden and getting them on tape. Personally I still like the trap idea[:D]

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Wow, never came across anyone like that thank goodness. I have removed a few tree stands in my time, but only if I knew who they belonged to so I could return them personally. After a heart to heart talk I never had problems with them again.
    I do have one farm (275acres) I hunt where the people down rode (who own 20 some acres) always try to run me off because I'm on private property. Their two sons think they are Joe Bad you know whats, so when they see me they get all puffy chest and tell me I am on private property. I always reply that I know I am on private property and I also know they do not have permission to be on the private property I am on. I have thrown out a few comments to them to try to push their buttons enough to step up to the plate but so far they have been no more than talkers. This is a every year occurance so hopefully this year will bring a bit more excitement then the others.
    I do not like hunters who don't know property lines. I grew up in the area I mainly hunt and can hunt darn near any property there I want, but I really get ticked when someone wonders through the woods and mess up my hunting when they have not asked one single person if they could be there or not. I have a sorta natural blind I sit in sometimes and every year this older fellow will stop by there three or four times just to talk. He always ends my days hunt there, but he has permission and I got no problem with him. We usually share an apple or orange then a chew of tobacco and we just sit and talk. He always searching for squirrels, I think he just likes to come see my camo, cause it always amazes him. [:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413
    Big ole trap under tree, *SMACK* honest I never new there was a stand in that tree[:D] This is a great coyote run though[8D] Or since the DNR guys know about it maybe they could patrol it a little better. Another thought would be getting a game cam hidden and getting them on tape. Personally I still like the trap idea[:D]

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
    [:(!] Guide in North Dakota used to video all licence plates and people around the property. Poachers hate cameras. A couple of German Shepards might do the trick. If all else fails hunt the most challangeing animal on the face of the earth. Another hunter- Poacher.